It’s possible to make delicious homemade pizza sauce with tomato paste and a few basic pantry staples! This quick and easy no cook recipe makes a rich and flavorful sauce with simple ingredients that will take any pizza to the next level.
Homemade pizza night doesn’t have to be complicated. This easy pizza sauce recipe is ideal for when you can’t make it to the grocery store and you’re in need of a homemade sauce with a robust tomato flavor.
If you have seen our recipe for how to make pizza sauce from fresh tomatoes , there’s no need to cook this rustic tomato spread. It’s a low lift, high reward recipe that can be ready in no time!
Simple Tomato Sauce for Pizza
This is such and easy and fast recipe. I like to call it my emergency homemade pizza sauce because it uses pantry ingredients that I always have on hand. Whip it up (no cooking required), spread it on your crust, add the toppings, and pizza night is done!
Why This Homemade Pizza Sauce Works
Whether you’re finding yourself in need of an recipe for a Friday night or you’re preparing in advance to have your own stash on hand when you need it, there are so many reasons to give this recipe a try!
This simple pizza sauce can save the day when you’re in a pinch and have nothing but a few pantry staples to work with.
And while it doesn’t call for much, you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you taste our tomato paste pizza sauce.
The combination of ingredients creates the perfect flavors. It’s hearty and balanced with savory herbs and the natural sweetness of tomatoes.
Here’s why you’ll love this simple recipe:
- It’s a great way to make the most out of a few everyday ingredients. Pizza sauce with tomato paste might just be the perfect pizza base because it doesn’t require much. There’s no need for fresh herbs or fresh whole tomatoes. In fact, you most likely have everything you need sitting right in your pantry or spice cabinet.
- Healthier than a store-bought. No questionable additives or preservatives, and you know exactly what’s going into it! This is one of the best reasons to make your own pizza.
- Quick and easy. Combine everything together and mix. That’s it! There’s absolutely no cooking required. It is is ready to use or store for later (the flavor deepens beautifully over time).
- Versatile. Use dried or fresh herbs, fresh garlic or aromatics- modify the mixture to your liking. Spread it on a pizza or use it as a dip. This sauce is wonderfully versatile, from preparation to all its various uses.
Ingredients for Pizza Sauce with Tomato Paste
Here is what you will need for this easy recipe:
- Tomato paste. The main ingredient that imparts a rich tomato flavor.
- Water or tomato juice. The liquid required to thin it out and bring all of the ingredients together.
- Olive oil. Adds a depth of flavor and authentic taste.
- Dried herbs. A bit of dried basil and dried oregano give the sauce an Italian-inspired flavor.
- Seasonings. Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper season it to perfection.
- Sugar. A small amount of sugar adds sweetness and balances the natural acidity of tomatoes.
- Red wine vinegar. For a subtle tanginess!
How to Make Pizza Sauce with Tomato Paste
It couldn’t be any simpler to make a delicious tomato sauce with tomato paste and a few basic items.
Here’s a look at the recipe but be sure to check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for all of the details and ingredient amounts.
- Place the tomato paste in a mixing bowl. Add 1/3 cup water or tomato juice. Stir the mixture until smooth. Slowly add more water until you get the perfect consistency.
- Add everything els to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Spread over your favorite homemade pizza dough or a quick garlic bread pizza. You can also store it in the fridge for later. For the best flavor, let it sit for a few hours.
Recipe Tips for the Best Results
- Letting the sauce sit for a few hours will give you the best results. This allows all of the ingredients to meld and creates an even more complex flavor.
- Feel free to substitute the dried herbs and dried garlic for fresh.
Store the sauce in a glass jar or airtight container. Keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
If you make a large batch or have extra sauce leftover, you can easily freeze it to use later. Leftovers freeze well if kept in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container.
You can even portion it out into smaller amounts by spooning some into an ice cube tray.
It will keep well in the freezer for up to 6 months. Defrost it in the fridge or let it sit at room temperature.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- ⅔ cup to 1-⅓ cup water or tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the tomato paste in a mixing bowl. Add 1/3 cup water or tomato juice and stir until smooth. Slowly add more water or tomato juice until you get the consistency you prefer. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Store in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- The flavor improves after a few hours.
- Feel free to swap out the dried garlic and herbs with fresh.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.