This rich and perfectly smooth hot chocolate delivers a creamy and intense chocolate flavor. Easy to make, irresistibly delicious – it’s everything you’d want from a homemade hot chocolate.
When we think of cozy winter nights, we imagine ourselves snuggled by a warm fire, with holiday music echoing throughout the home, and a cup of rich hot chocolate in our hand. That last bit is non-negotiable in every scenario. Especially since we’ve conjured the perfect recipe for you to make and indulge in over and over this winter. Sip, sip repeat. All season long.
You can make hot chocolate by simply combining cocoa powder and sugar with hot milk. However, we find the end result to be grainy and lacking the smooth, silky texture we crave. So we did things a bit differently.
How to make homemade hot chocolate.
- We start by making the perfect homemade chocolate syrup (chopped bittersweet chocolate is the hero here) – it’s seriously what chocolate dreams are made of. Whisked into hot milk, it knocks any store-bought hot cocoa mix out the wintery, chocolatey, ballpark.
- Finish it off with this light, airy marshmallow fluff for the perfect blend of creaminess and richness. Excuse us while we drool just thinking about it.
If you want to kick things up a notch, grab a kitchen torch and toast the marshmallow fluff. The smell of toasted marshmallows will make your hot cocoa irresistible.
This is a great recipe for holiday parties, too. Make a large batch of the chocolate syrup and marshmallow fluff ahead of time to lessen your workload. It’s a simple and easy way to wow your guests and leave them with the perfect holiday taste they’ll remember for days.
Hot chocolate mix-ins.
There are so many add-ons and mix-ins you can play around with to take this hot chocolate to the next level.
- Caramel sauce
- Peanut butter or Nutella
- Orange zest
You can even turn this seasonal favorite into an adult beverage.
The possibilities are endless but so so delicious.
So if you’re bored with the same old hot chocolate full of chunky bits of powder, rejoice! This is going to be your new favorite treat. 😋
Dress it up with your favorite add-ins, or don’t. Either way, this homemade hot chocolate will have you asking Santa for a little more winter this year. Any excuse for another cup, right?
Want to make it dairy-free?
You can use non-dairy milk in place of regular milk for an equally delicious hot cocoa. Coconut milk, oat milk, and almond milk are favorites. We recommend the unsweetened non-dairy milk so you can have more control over the sweetness level.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Did I mention ice cream is delicious stirred into this hot chocolate? Try this no-churn vanilla lavender ice cream with your cup of hot cocoa.
- Around our house, the holidays are not complete without these cinnamon sugar candied pecans. They are easy to make and guaranteed to make the house smell delicious.
- Serve some cranberry pistachio biscotti or Italian wedding cookies alongside your cup of hot chocolate. Life is complete!
- CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this hot cocoa recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Get it hot but don’t let it come to a boil.
- Whisk in the homemade chocolate syrup. Adjust the amount to your personal taste.
- Pour the hot chocolate into two mugs and top with the marshmallow fluff.
- Optional: Use a kitchen torch to toast the top of the marshmallow fluff.
Don’t let the milk boil or it will scorch.
For extra creaminess, you can add a splash of heavy cream to the milk.
This is delicious with non-dairy milk as well. Try it with almond milk or oat milk.
Ideas for flavored hot chocolate:
- Add a shot of espresso or a sprinkle of espresso powder.
- Drizzle in some caramel sauce.
- Add a drop or two of peppermint extract.
- Stir in Kahlua, bourbon, or Grand Marnier for a boozy drink.
- Add some cinnamon and a dash of cayenne for Mexican hot chocolate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.