There is a kaleidoscope of colors in this Goat Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust! The non-traditional crust of sweet potato slices forms the backbone of this goat cheese quiche. It is low in calories and high in nutrition and flavor. Bright, colorful garden veggies of kale, leek, red bell pepper and more sweet potato slices are combined with a tangy, custard-like filling.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A QUICHE AND A FRITTATA?
How to make our goat cheese quiche with sweet potato crust:
- Spray an 11-inch quiche dish/pan with non-stick oil.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into thin 1/8-inch slices. We used a mandoline slicer but a food processor with a slicing disc will also work.
- Arrange part of the sweet potato slices in the prepared dish to cover the bottom. Cut enough of the remaining slices in half to line the edges of the dish. It’s OK to overlap the slices.
- Bake for 10-minutes and set aside to cool slightly.
- Pile the kale into a large plate, and microwave for a couple of minutes until lightly wilted. Remove from the microwave and with scissors, cut the kale slightly.
- Sauté the leek and the red bell pepper slices and cook until just beginning to soften. Arrange them over the cooled sweet potatoes. Distribute the kale over the mixture.
- Blend the goat cheese, sour cream, and eggs together until smooth. Stir in the thyme leaves, salt pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and slide additional strips of sweet potato into the mixture to fill the dish to the top and bake for 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
Can I freeze this quiche?
This goat cheese quiche with sweet potato crust will freeze beautifully. Let it cool completely before wrapping it in and putting it in the freezer. When it is time to re-heat it, make sure you defrost the quiche completely before reheating. It is best to let the quiche thaw overnight in the fridge.
When you reheat the thawed quiche, pre-heat the oven to 350°F and cook it for 15 to 25 minutes or until it is heated all the way through.
What kind of cheese is best in a quiche?
- Cream cheese
- Cottage cheese
This savory quiche with sweet potato crust is easy to prepare, healthy and budget-friendly. You can serve this quiche hot or cold for a delicious meal or snack. Try adding some type of quiche to your rotating menu plan. Swap out different vegetables and cheeses. Be creative and adventurous. ❤️
SOME OTHER BREAKFAST IDEAS WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Breakfast Potato Skillet with Bacon and Mushrooms
- Copycat Starbucks Spinach and Feta Breakfast Wraps
- Asparagus-Ham and Gouda Breakfast Strata
- Veggie Quinoa Egg Muffins
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 10 oz.)
- 5 oz. pkg. baby kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 8 oz. log soft goat cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray a 11-inch quiche dish/pan with non-stick oil.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into thin 1/8-inch slices. If possible, use a mandoline for uniform slices.
- Arrange part of the sweet potato slices in the prepared dish to cover the bottom. Cut enough of the remaining slices in half to line the edges of the dish. Sprinkle the rounds with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 10-minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add the kale to a large plate, drape a paper towel over the kale and microwave for 1-2 minutes until lightly wilted. Remove from the microwave, discard the paper towel and let cool. With kitchen scissors, cut the kale slightly. Set aside
- Add the olive oil to a skillet set over medium-high heat and when it is hot add the leek and bell pepper slices, cook until just beginning to soften. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Arrange the leek and red bell pepper slices over the dish of cooled sweet potatoes.
- Distribute the kale over the veggies.
Make the Custard Filling:
- Add the soft goat cheese to a mixing bowl with the sour cream and using an electric mixer beat until well combined. Add the eggs and continue mixing to a smooth and creamy consistency. Stir in the thyme leaves, salt pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Pour half of the egg mixture into the dish over the vegetables.
- With a fork, lift the mixture slightly to allow the egg mixture to settle around the veggies, then add the remaining egg mixture. Add additional cut strips of sweet potato, sliding them down into the egg mixture.
- Place the dish into a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden, puffed and the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
- A slicing disc in a food processor or a mandoline slicer will make even slices of sweet potatoes.
- The baked and cooled quiche can be stored tightly covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- The quiche can be served cold, room temperature or reheated in a preheated 350°F oven for about 15-25 minutes or until heated through.
- A baked and cooled quiche can be frozen for up to 3-months. To reheat a baked frozen quiche, first thaw it overnight in the fridge then bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 15-25 minutes or until it is heated through. Have it reach at least 165°F. A thermometer can help determine the initial temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.