Our Creamy Peppercorn Sauce is equal parts rich and flavorful, with a spicy bite from black peppercorns and fragrant garlic and shallot. A little bit of brandy adds a smokey finish to this peppercorn sauce that is so good, it will rival even your favorite steakhouse! No steak is complete without it, and this peppercorn sauce recipe is oh so simple to make at home.
If you like this you will love our sous vide ribeye steak with Chimichurri sauce.
What does peppercorn sauce taste like?
Our creamy peppercorn steak sauce is infused with a bold, peppery bite from the crushed whole peppercorns. It’s savory with a little bit of heat and an incredible depth of flavor thanks to the shallot, onions and garlic that carry through.
Spoon this luscious, peppery cream sauce onto steak to make each bite irresistible!
What you need for peppercorn sauce
The ingredient list for this creamy peppercorn steak sauce is pretty basic, but don’t be fooled– the bold aromatics each bring their own special touch to this peppercorn sauce party, packing the creamy steak sauce with unbeatable flavor.
To make this creamy, dreamy steak sauce, you will need:
- whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- small shallot, minced
- garlic clove, finely minced
- beef broth
Using whole peppercorns and crushing right before you make this sauce will give the sauce a sharp pepper flavor. If you use pre-ground pepper the sauce will have less of a “bite”. If you love the sharp, spicy flavor of pepper then we suggest the whole peppercorns.
Peppercorn Sauce Recipe
So, how do you make pepper sauce from scratch? This simple recipe is ready in under 20 minutes, and you can choose to cook it fresh while you’re preparing your steaks, or make this sauce ahead of time.
Follow these steps for a creamy homemade peppercorn sauce. Make sure you scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
- Crush the peppercorns. Use a mortar and pestle or use a rolling pin to get them roughly crushed.
- Cook peppercorns and shallot: Melt the butter in a skillet, add the crushed peppercorns and shallot and cook until the shallot turns light golden brown (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Simmer the sauce: Add the brandy and simmer the sauce for one minute. Pour in the broth and simmer another 4-5 minutes or until the peppercorn sauce has reduced by half.
- Add the cream: Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the cream and salt. Cook another few minutes, stirring frequently, but be careful not to let the mixture come to a boil.
That’s it! Spoon this luscious peppercorn sauce over your favorite steak and enjoy!
For the best peppercorn sauce
While you can easily make this sauce ahead of time, our favorite way to prepare it is to use the same pan that you cook your steaks in. It will add more flavor to the peppercorn sauce.
- Sear the meat in the pan before you make the sauce. Afterward, set the steaks aside and deglaze the pan with butter. The fond and juices from the meat will blend into the sauce for the ultimate flavor!
- For a gas or propane stovetop, remove the skillet from the flame before adding the brandy. Return it to the stove after the alcohol is added to the skillet.
How do you thicken peppercorn sauce?
Our creamy peppercorn sauce recipe doesn’t require any thickening agents, so long as you let the sauce reduce.
If the sauce isn’t quite as thick as you’d like, you can easily add a touch more cream, a little bit of cornstarch, or make a quick roux by adding a mix of butter/flour to the pan. Just make sure to whisk it in well.
Now all you need is an incredible steak to go with this incredibly dreamy sauce! If you’re looking for steak dinner inspiration, we’ve got you covered!
Here are a few of our favorite steak recipes to go with this creamy peppercorn sauce:
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Beef Steak Bites with Fresh Horseradish Aioli Sauce: These beefy little bites are tender and juicy and make the perfect appetizer! The fresh horseradish aioli sauce is the perfect addition to each bite, and you won’t be able to have just one.
- Steak and Lobster: Does a more perfect main course combo exist? Steak and lobster is the ultimate pairing, and this simple recipe will walk you through how to make your own steak and lobster dinner right at home!
- Mushroom Marsala Sauce: This ultra rich, umami-flavored sauce is bound to become a new favorite! Creamy and packed with meaty mushrooms, our mushroom marsala sauce is a must-try recipe.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2/3 cup cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the crushed peppercorns and shallot. Cook for 2 minutes until the shallot is soft and light golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the brandy and let it simmer for about 1 minute. (see notes)
- Pour in the broth and simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the cream, and salt. Cook for about 3 minutes while stirring. Don’t let the mixture boil.
- You can make this sauce ahead of time before you cook your steak but it will taste even better if you make it after you cook the steak and use the same pan to make the sauce.
- To do that, sear the meat in the pan before you make the sauce. When you finish searing the meat, set it aside and deglaze the pan with the butter. All the juices and fond from the meat will blend in with the peppercorn sauce and give it so much flavor.
- If you have an open flame (such as gas or propane) on your stove then remove the skillet from the flame before you add the brandy or any alcohol. Return it to the stove after the alcohol is added to the skillet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.