Our Chicken and Rice Bake is a quick and easy dinner that will definitely be a lifesaver more than once! Seasoned, tender chicken thighs baked with a lemony basmati rice, it’s a delicious pairing of the most basic ingredients. And isn’t that always the best combination?
There’s really nothing like it: tender and crispy-on-the-outside chicken thighs seasoned with a generous amount of herbs and spices, nestled into a bed of soft and fluffy rice. Yum!
This dish is so simple and quick to pull together, whether you’re making a special Sunday night family dinner or fitting this into the weeknight hustle.
why you’ll love our Chicken and Rice Bake
We’re always on the lookout for easy meals made with whole foods that are full of flavor and use simple ingredients. This one 100% fits the bill! Our chicken and rice bake is a recipe we’re certain you’ll love, and here’s why:
- prep time is only 15 minutes
- it’s a hearty and flavorful meal that everyone will enjoy
- chicken and rice bake is an inexpensive dinner
- made with clean ingredients, our chicken and rice bake is good for you and a wonderful gluten-free option
- leftovers make the perfect next-day lunch
how to make chicken and rice bake
This recipe includes our favorite dry rub for the chicken thighs, but if you have your own (or a store-bought variety) you’d like to use, feel free!
for the chicken rub
To make the chicken rub, you will need:
- paprika powder
- dried rosemary
- garlic powder
- onion powder
Chicken and Rice Bake ingredients
To make the full chicken and rice bake, you will need:
- chicken thighs, bone-in and skin removed
- chicken broth
- lemon juice
- shallot, chopped. You can sub half an onion if you can’t find a shallot.
- garlic cloves, minced or grated
- basmati or long-grain white rice
- white wine (optional, you can also substitute more chicken broth)
- sea salt
- white pepper
- olive oil
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
- lemon wedges (for garnish)
This is an easy peasy, no-fuss recipe, but let me walk you through the main steps (and as always, check out the full recipe at the bottom of the page for all the details).
- Make the rub: In a small bowl, mix together all of the dry rub ingredients. Season the chicken thighs with the mixture, rubbing it onto both sides of each piece. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
- Make the rice: In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth and lemon juice to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the liquid while you prepare the rice. Heat the butter and shallots in a large pan or skillet, cooking the shallots just until they’re translucent. Stir in the garlic and rice and make sure the rice is coated with the melted butter. Add the wine, then the broth/lemon juice. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat. Stir in the rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Bake: Place the seasoned chicken thighs on top of the rice, cover the pot with its lid (or foil) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and take the lid off, then brush the tops of the chicken with olive oil. Return to the oven and bake uncovered for an extra 15 minutes to help the chicken brown.
- Serve: When the chicken and rice bake is done, transfer the chicken to a plate and serve with rice. Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon wedges.
a classic recipe!
Ta-da! The easiest chicken and rice bake, and the oven does most of the work!
This recipe works any time, any day of the year! Chicken and rice is a classic combo and our version infuses so much flavor into this homestyle meal. We know you’ll love it so much it’ll reach “repeat status” in no time!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Chicken in Mushroom Cream Sauce: Tender and meaty chicken thighs cooked in a creamy, mushroom sauce that is rich and flavorful AND a quick and easy meal!
- Lemon Chicken Piccata: You are going to love this easy recipe and the tangy flavor of these Lemon Chicken Piccata cutlets. Perfectly cooked, tender, delicious chicken cutlets coated in a tangy sauce with briny capers.
- Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables: Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables is a breeze to prepare and a huge time saver. Tender, tasty chicken, fresh veggies and herbs cooked for hours and creating a rich sauce.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the Chicken Rub:
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
For the Rice:
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1-1/2 cups basmati rice or long-grain white rice
- 1/2/ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- lemon wedges for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F
For the Rub:
- In a small dish, whisk together the paprika powder, dried rosemary, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Season the skinless chicken breasts with the mixture, rubbing on both sides and reserve on a plate.
For the Rice:
- Pour the chicken broth and lemon juice into a saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer while preparing the rice.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan or skillet, set over medium heat, add the butter and shallots. Sauté until the onions are just soft and translucent; then stir in the garlic and rice, stirring constantly for about 1 minute to coat the rice with the melted butter.
- Add the wine to the rice and cook for 30 seconds to burn off the alcohol; then pour in the hot broth/lemon juice. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Stir in the rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken thighs on top of the rice, cover the pot with it’s lid (or foil) and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and brush the tops of the chicken thighs with the olive oil and continue baking, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, fluff the rice and spoon onto serving plates and top with a portion of chicken. Garnish each serving with lemon wedges and fresh parsley.
- Your favorite store-bought or homemade chicken rub can be substituted
- If not using wine, replace with an equal amount of chicken broth
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 178mgSodium: 1103mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.