What is easier than roasted chicken for a Sunday dinner! With just the two of us I used these chicken thighs and legs along with some carrots and parsnips to make cast iron roast chicken with root vegetables.
I had intended to do this recipe with half of a chicken and had examined a package with a split chicken thinking that one-half would be just right for Don and myself. But apparently, I picked up the wrong package from the poultry case.
I was a little surprised and disappointed when I got home and saw that it was thighs and legs instead of a split chicken. My bad, but, that is okay, I can adjust.
Don and I have been suffering with a yukky head cold and this is the first day I even felt like cooking something. I am so thankful for a freezer with lots of soup!
This chicken was pretty easy to put together, just some carrots, parsnips, garlic and herbs in my cast iron skillet, a dash of white wine, some seasoning and the chicken on top. A green salad finished it off, and we have leftovers for another meal!
Carrots, parsnips, garlic and fresh herbs.
Seasoned chicken thighs ready for the oven
- 3 medium carrot, peeled
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons each,chopped fresh thyme and rosemary
- 2 chicken thighs with legs attached
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smokey paprica
- Thyme and rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Add the carrots, parsnips and garlic to the bottom of the cast iron skillet. Pore the white wine over the top of the vegetables and season with the salt, black pepper and herbs.
- Using paper towels, wipe the chicken dry and rub the outside surfaces with olive oil. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and season with the salt, pepper and paprika.
- Transfer the skillet to the middle rack of the oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and check the internal temperature at the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. It should register between 170°F and 180°F. Remove the chicken and vegetables from the skillet, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sprigs of thyme and rosemary.
Amount Per ServingCalories 282 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 83mg Sodium 539mg Carbohydrates 17g Fiber 4g Sugar 5g Protein 17g