Chicken in mushroom cream sauce will forever be a favorite of mine, and for good reason. Tender and meaty chicken thighs cooked in a creamy, mushroom sauce that is rich and flavorful AND a quick and easy meal? Dinner truly doesn’t get any better! This recipe for chicken in mushroom sauce is a classic that is quick enough for a weeknight, yet feels special enough for date night in.
If you grew up with chicken in mushroom cream sauce made with Campbell’s soup, you will greatly appreciate the taste and flavor of this remake!
what we love about chicken in mushroom cream sauce
There are far too many reasons to love our chicken in mushroom cream sauce, so I’ll just keep this little list top-level:
- Our chicken in mushroom sauce recipe is the CREAMIEST!
- Chock full of mushrooms and other flavorful additions like garlic, shallots and herbs, this recipe has the best flavor profile.
- It is gluten-free and low-carb.
- It’s a versatile main dish which works great with a variety of sides- plate it over rice, mashed potatoes or serve with a side of steamed green beans. And don’t forget some crusty sourdough bread to soak up all the sauce.
what you need to make chicken in mushroom cream sauce
The main players here are: chicken, mushrooms (we like to use crimini mushrooms), and heavy cream. All the other herbs and aromatics complement each other and make up the perfectly seasoned, flavorful chicken in creamy mushroom sauce. Here’s what you need:
- Olive oil.
- Chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on for the best flavor.
- Mushrooms. We used crimini mushrooms but any variety will work in this recipe.
- Salt and pepper.
- Shallot. If you’re asking “what is a shallot“, they are similar to onions but smaller and milder.
- Garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- Dry white wine. If you are concerned about the alcohol, it evaporates when it gets cooked.
- Chicken broth. You can use homemade bone broth or store-bought.
- Heavy cream.
- Fresh thyme. If you use dried thyme then cut the amount in half.
how to make chicken in mushroom cream sauce
This method for chicken in mushroom sauce is a three-part process. First, the bone-in chicken thighs with skin are seared in a skillet until they’re golden brown. Then, the mushrooms and chicken bake together in the oven until it’s fully-cooked. Afterward, add the cream into the sauce.
You’ll have chicken in mushroom cream sauce in five steps! Be sure to scroll all the way down to the printable recipe card for detailed instructions.
- Cook the seasoned chicken in a skillet with olive oil until the thighs are golden brown on each side, then reserve.
- Melt butter in the same skillet you used for the chicken, cook the mushrooms, then add the shallot, and finally add in the garlic.
- Add the wine and simmer, then stir in the chicken broth and thyme leaves.
- Place the chicken thighs back into the skillet with the mushrooms, cover, then bake for 45 minutes.
- Stir the cream into the mushroom sauce and serve!
how do you thicken mushroom sauce?
The consistency of this creamy mushroom sauce should be thick, and similar to the consistency of the heavy cream. However, to ensure it’s thick and creamy enough, make sure to bake for the full 45 minutes. If you want a thicker sauce, you can add a bit more cream, or whisk in a tablespoon of flour to thicken (similar to making gravy).
I hope you love this recipe for chicken in mushroom cream sauce as much as my family does! It’s a simple, weeknight dinner that is full of intense flavor- the perfect comfort food meal when you need something warm, filling, and just plain YUMMY.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Our Cast Iron Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables is an easy, one-pan meal, and a great alternative to roasting a whole chicken!
- Our No Bake Cheesecake with a Surprise Inside is a lovely little dessert that would be perfect for a special occasion. These individual no-bake cheesecakes are creamy, sweet and beyond delicious!
- Pasta night is made special with this Spelt Penne Pasta with Chicken, Artichokes, and Mushrooms! Packed with flavorful goodies stirred into a creamy and delicate sauce, you’ll wish pasta night was every night.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 garlic coves, grated or crushed
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Fresh thyme sprigs and leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet set over high heat. Add the chicken skin-side down and sear to a golden brown on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve. Pour off the excess oil in the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and melt the butter in the skillet and add the mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms become light brown.
- Add the chopped shallot and cook until the shallot is translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and cook until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add the wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes to burn off the alcohol, scraping up the bits from the bottom. Stir in the chicken broth and thyme leaves.
- Place the reserved chicken thighs back into the skillet, cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet from the oven, push the chicken to the side and stir the cream into the sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
- Choose any type of mushrooms and slice them 1/4-inch thick. We used crimini, pre-slice mushrooms in this recipe.
- Once the cream is added to the sauce, make sure you do not bring it to a boil or the cream will curdle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 593Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.