Get ready to transform your dinner routine with a recipe that’s as comforting as it is convenient – our Chicken and Dumplings Casserole. This dish is not just a meal; it’s a warm embrace on a plate, perfect for those evenings when you crave something hearty yet straightforward.
If you’re looking for a delicious way to bring the family together or treat yourself to some well-deserved comfort food, this baked chicken and dumplings recipe is for you. You can also make this chicken and dumplings bake as a potluck dish since it is easy to serve.
This baked version of our popular chicken and dumpling soup merges the nostalgia of the classic recipe with the ease of modern cooking. Speaking of dumplings, if you’re a fan of these delightful morsels, you might also enjoy a different twist in my cozy potato soup with dumplings. It’s another comforting recipe that’s perfect for chilly evenings or when you just need a little extra warmth in your meal.
Here is Why This Chicken Casserole Recipe Works
Imagine tender, shredded chicken, a colorful array of vegetables, and a rich, savory gravy, all topped with light, fluffy dumplings. It’s a symphony of flavors and textures that cooks into a delightful chicken and dumplings meal with minimal fuss.
- Homemade, From-Scratch Quality: This recipe celebrates the authenticity of from-scratch cooking, with homemade dumplings that are fluffy and flavorful. It’s a fantastic opportunity to bring the timeless tradition of home cooking to life in your own kitchen.
- Convenience with Pre-Cooked Chicken: The option to use rotisserie or leftover chicken makes this recipe exceptionally convenient and time-saving. It’s one of those recipes that is perfect for busy weeknights or when you need an easy chicken dinner without the lengthy preparation time.
- Versatility and Customization: The recipe is highly adaptable to personal tastes and what you have on hand. Whether it’s swapping in different veggies or adjusting the herbs, it’s a recipe that invites personalization.
- Comfort Food Appeal: There’s a universal appeal in comfort food, and this savory bake hits all the right notes – warm, hearty, and satisfying. The combination of tender chicken, rich gravy, and soft dumplings creates a comforting dish that’s perfect for any day.
Ingredients for Chicken and Dumplings Casserole
Here are the ingredients you will need for your shopping list. Scroll down to the recipe card for all the details.
- Meat: Chicken. You can use leftover chicken, a store-bought rotisserie chicken, or just brown some chicken thighs on the spot.
- Produce: Onion, Celery, Carrots, Garlic, Chives
- Pantry: All-purpose flour, Smoked Paprika, Baking Powder
- Pantry Seasonings: Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes
- Condiments: Olive Oil, Tomato Paste, Worcestershire
- Dairy: Butter, Whole Milk, Parmesan Cheese
- Frozen: Mixed Veggies
Tips for The Best Casserole
- For a flawless Chicken and Dumpling Casserole, remember to avoid overmixing the batter and allow the batter to rest for tender dumplings.
- Cover the dish with greased aluminum foil while it is baking. That will hold in some steam and make the dumplings tender and plump.
- For convenience, use precooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the store. Dark chicken meat will add more flavor than white meat.
- Make two easy recipes by cooking some oven roasted chicken thighs or slow cooker chicken adobo for one dinner, then use the leftover chicken thighs to make this chicken and dumplings bake.
Serving Suggestions For Oven Chicken and Dumplings
Serve this dumpling casserole dish with a light salad or crusty bread. Baked chicken and dumplings is hearty enough to stand alone but pairs beautifully with easy sides like green beans Almondine, sriracha Brussels sprouts, or glazed rainbow carrots.
Storing and Reheating
In the Fridge: Store any leftover chicken and dumplings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
In the Freezer: You can freeze the chicken casserole for up to 3 months if stored in a freezer proof container.
Reheating: Cover and reheat in the oven for best texture. You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave but make sure you stir frequently.
Add a spin to this baked chicken and dumplings with these easy recipe variations. Whether you’re craving something earthy and rich or spicy and robust, these twists on the classic recipe offer new ways to enjoy chicken.
Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Casserole
For a rich and earthy twist, substitute half of the chicken with a variety of mushrooms like portobello, cremini, or shiitake. Cook the mushrooms with the onions. Add a splash of white wine to the broth for extra flavor. This easy recipe variation brings a delightful umami depth to the classic dish, perfect for mushroom lovers.
Spicy Cajun Chicken Casserole
Infuse a bit of Cajun flair into the recipe by adding Cajun seasoning to both the chicken mixture and the dumplings. Include andouille sausage along with the chicken for a spicy kick. Bell peppers, in addition to the other veggies, can add color and a sweet contrast to the spice. This recipe variation is great for those who enjoy a bit of heat and the robust flavors of Cajun cuisine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, prepare the casserole up to a day in advance and bake when ready to serve.
Sure, but you are missing out on something good. It only takes a few minutes to make the batter for the dumplings and they are better than anything you can buy.
This baked Chicken and Dumplings is more than just a meal; it’s a comforting experience that brings joy and warmth to your table. With its balance of hearty ingredients and simple preparation, it’s sure to become a favorite in your recipe collection. Give it a try and enjoy the rich flavors and homestyle comfort it offers!
More Recipes You Will Love
We have a diverse array of chicken recipes, each showcasing a unique way to enjoy this versatile ingredient. These recipes, range from the simplicity of slow cooker green chile chicken to the rich taste of chicken parmesan. It is easy to make your cooking varied and flavorful with this inexpensive protein. You don’t have to have the same ole chicken dish every night if you save these recipes.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Buffalo chicken pizza
- Cauliflower chicken soup
- One pot chicken orzo
- Chicken and chorizo paella
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1-¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
For the Chicken Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage*
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme*
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1-½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
Make the Dumpling Batter
- Place the flour, cheese, chives, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients well.
- Add the milk and butter to a separate bowl and zap it in the microwave until the butter melts. Pour the warm milk into the flour mixture. Use a wide spatula to gently fold the mixture just until there are no dry spots of flour. Don’t over mix. The batter should look a bit lumpy. If you mix it until it is smooth, the dumplings won’t be as tender and fluffy.
- Cover the batter with plastic wrap and let it rest while you make the chicken casserole.
For the Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish and set it aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are softened. Toss in the garlic, tomato paste, paprika, sage, and thyme. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the flour, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the Parmesan and Worcestershire and stir well. Stir in the cooked chicken and veggies. Taste the mixture and add additional salt if desired. Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
- Drop golf ball sized balls of dough on top of the chicken mixture. Cover the dish with a sheet of greased aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken mixture is bubbling up around the dumplings. If you stick a toothpick into the dumplings, it should come out clean.
- Pre-cooked chicken (such as rotisserie chicken or leftovers) is a great time-saver for this easy recipe. Make sure it’s shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Avoid overmixing the dumpling batter. It is ok if it is lumpy as long as there are no dry clumps of flour.
- Allowing the batter to rest while you prepare the casserole helps the ingredients fully hydrate and will make the dumplings more tender.
- You can swap the fresh herbs for dried herbs but use half the amount if you use dry herbs.
- Feel free to customize the frozen mixed vegetables according to your preference. Peas, corn, green beans, and carrots are great options.
- I like to cover the casserole while it bakes to hold in some steam which will make the dumplings soft and tender. Since this casserole doesn’t have as much broth as a soup, the dumplings will not soak up very much liquid, so keeping them in a steamy environment will help them retain a dumpling-like texture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 1471mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.