This shaved brussels sprout salad with caesar salad dressing is crisp and crunchy with a tangy, creamy caesar dressing. It is a great salad to make in advance since it won’t wilt like lettuce.
When our kids were growing up they were not that keen on brussels sprouts but I finally learned, quite by accident, that if I called them ‘baby cabbages’ they would eat them excitedly. Isn’t it curious how we adults learn to manipulate our kids’ ideas on food.
I do confess though, I was an adult before I learned to enjoy brussels sprouts. I have also learned how healthy they are for you! For instance, if they are steamed they have a cholesterol-lowering benefit, they are high in fiber, and recent research indicates they may also be a protection to cancer.
Dahn and I spent a fun day together last week and went shopping in Seattle. We stopped for lunch in a lovely restaurant and ordered their brussels sprout salad. The shaved brussels created a light and delicate slaw that was tossed with a caesar dressing. That salad was so good that it inspired me to create one at home.
I used the thinnest slicing attachment to my food processor to shave these little guys. This salad has a creamy caesar dressing tossed over a fluffy cloud of shaved brussels sprouts, chopped parsley and finally sprinkled with crunchy cashews. It is great at lunch-time, a snack or included as a main meal. I can even imagine Dahn eating it for breakfast!
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I have.
Check out these salads:
- Mixed Greens, Fresh Mint, Satsuma Salad with Gorgonzola
- Butter Lettuce, Strawberries and Cocoa Nibs
- Blackberry-Feta Salad with Mache
- 1 1/2 pounds of brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 anchovies
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon plain yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- Wash the brussels sprouts, trim the ends and remove any discolored leaves. Slice the brussels spouts just as thin as you possibly can with either a food processor or a mandolin. Transfer to a large salad bowl, add the chopped parsley and set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a large bowl add the minced garlic, salt and the anchovies. Using the back of a fork, mash and mix the garlic, salt and anchovies until you have a paste. Mix in the mustards and worcestershire sauce. With a small whip mix in the lemon juice, olive oil and the mayonnaise until well incorporated, thick and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the shaved brussels sprouts, add the cashew nuts and toss together.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 297mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.