Oh my goodness! These roasted garlic spears are just amazing! I saw these elephant-garlic spears in bundles at Central Market and my curiosity got the best of me. I have prepared them the same as my roasted asparagus and we ate the entire bundle for dinner.
These would be really delicious chopped raw in a salad, provided the chop is small as they are pretty hot and spicy in their raw state. It is surprising what a difference cooking makes though, as after they are roasted they have a very mild garlic flavor.
You can eat the entire spear, including the flower bulb at the top which is maybe the best part.
I have a garlic soup recipe that would taste wonderful with some roasted elephant-garlic spears included.
The serving fork shown in the photo was a wedding gift to my grandma Prentice in 1903. It is part of a two-piece set, the mate to it is a long pickle fork and the gold plating is almost worn off both of them from so much use.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3/4 pound fresh elephant-garlic spears
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
- ½ fresh lemon cut in quarters for squeezing
- ½ fresh lemon, sliced for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Trim about on inch off the ends of the spears and discard, place the garlic spears in a zip-top bag and add the oil. Gently, roll the asparagus around to coat evenly. Remove the spears and spread in a single layer, on a baking sheet. Transfer to the upper rack of the oven and roast the asparagus for 8 minutes. Remove the garlic spears from the oven and transfer to a serving plate. They will be tender and crisp, sprinkle with salt and squeeze lemon juice over them. Garnish with the lemon quarters.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.