The fresh grown green beans this time of the year are so crisp, tender and sweet, I prefer to eat them raw or just barely blanched. This crisp green bean salad has you blanch the beans in salted water then shock them in ice cold water so they stop cooking and keep their bright green color and fresh flavor.
With the addition of tomatoes, blue cheese, bacon and almonds, the yum factor multiplies. I don’t care for heavy dressings so this vinaigrette is a reduced fat dressing but has a lot of flavor and compliments this fresh summer salad very well.
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup toasted almond slivers
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans to the boiling water and cook for 1 to 3 minutes, until they are barely cooked but still crisp (older green beans will take longer to cook). While the beans are cooking prepare a bowl of ice water. Once the beans are done, drain them and transfer to the ice water to stop cooking. Drain the beans again and pat dry with a towel.
- Combine the green beans, tomatoes, blue cheese, crumbled bacon and chopped almonds in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette, over the green bean mixture and serve.
Amount Per ServingCalories 147 Total Fat 9g Sodium 382mg Carbohydrates 10g Protein 5.8g