This dish of roasted eggplants with fresh herbs of sage and rosemary will be a wonderful addition as a side dish to a special dinner. They are so easy to prepare and they make a dramatic presentation at the table.
Eggplant is well known in the Mediterranean area and I love it in moussaka or a dip of baba ganoush. It is also super delicious as a grilled salad with other vegetables and served as a room temperature salad.
To make these roasted eggplants, choose the small firm eggplants. The stems caps should be a pretty green, if they are brown and discolored they more than likely are not fresh.
I have been known to pass them up at that stage and go to another produce market. I have chosen fresh herbs of sage and rosemary to use in this recipe but any fresh herb will be delicious. Maybe lemon thyme, parsley and basil?
This recipe for roasted eggplants with fresh herbs has been adapted from my Cooking Light cookbook and they are a great low-calorie, low-fat side dish that if you like eggplant, I am willing to bet you will make these again and again.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 4 small firm eggplants, about 12-14 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ca
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a sharp knife, slice the eggplants in 1/4-inch slices, beginning close to the stem and slicing to the bottom. You should have about 5 or 6 slices. Carefully, fan the eggplants out and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the eggplants with oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and press the eggplants gently near the stem to fan them out, give them another oil brushing and sprinkle them with the salt and pepper. Return them to the oven and continue to roast them for an additional 10 minutes. They will be tender and the edges of the slices will be browned and crisp.
- Transfer the eggplants to a serving platter, distribute the chopped herbs over them and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 11gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.