I was blown away at the taste of these ‘made-from-scratch’ kamut buttermilk waffles! They are so crisp and a beautifully brown on the outside while tender and moist in the center. Fresh out of the hot waffle iron with butter and warm maple syrup. Just the way I like them!
For years and years I have been using a popular ‘convenience’ prepared pancake/waffle mix that just required measuring in some water, stirring it up and spooning it into the hot waffle iron. Oh, my goodness, what we sacrifice for convenience!
After making my first batch of these kamut buttermilk waffles I was so impressed that I had to stir up a batch of the package mix to make a side-by-side comparison. What a difference in taste, texture and flavor. The waffles from the packaged mix were tough and chewy and lacking in flavor. The kamut buttermilk waffles were tender, crisp and tasted so much better! Another huge bonus….. our kamut buttermilk waffles are made of good wholesome ingredients, they do not have any added fortifiers, preservatives and un-pronounceable chemicals.
To make these waffles we used stone ground kamut flour, whole grain oat flour and ground flax seed. Fresh eggs and real buttermilk were added along with a bit of coconut oil and a touch of honey. They are crisp, tender and tasty!
Yes, as compared to the ‘add water and stir’ packaged mix, it did take a few minutes longer to put these ‘made-from-scratch’ waffles together, but it is so worth it! I love these waffles and have been reformed. They are addictive and now I need to restrain myself from having waffles for breakfast every morning!
Kamut Buttermilk Waffles
These kamut buttermilk waffles are made with stone ground kamut flour, whole grain oat flour and ground flax seed. Fresh eggs and real buttermilk was added along with a bit of coconut oil and a touch of honey. They are crisp, tender and tasty!
- 1 1/3 cup (160g) stone ground kamut flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) oat flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut, avocado or grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and preheat while making the waffle batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the kamut flour, oat flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate dish beat the egg yolks, oil, honey, buttermilk and milk. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir with spoon or spatula until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks. With a spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter. Allow to sit for five minutes to absorb, thin with addition milk if needed, folding in gently with the spatula.
- Ladle the required portion of batter, according to the manufacturer's directions for your waffle iron and bake for 3 to 4 minutes, until the iron stops steaming. Serve while hot with butter, syrup or fruit.
Serving Size 1 Waffle
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14.3 g
Saturated Fat 7.4 g
Cholesterol 75.2 mg
Sodium 1008 mg
Total Carbohydrates 34.1 g
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 11.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.