These honey tahini cookies are like an elegant version of a classic peanut butter cookie, and without any refined sugar! They’re ultra soft, perfectly chewy, and sweetened with honey. If you’ve never had honey tahini cookies, prepare to be amazed!
The nutty, earthy flavor of tahini combines so well with the fruity and woody notes of honey, it’s almost like they were made for each other.
how to make the best tahini cookies
First, a very important cookie question: do you prefer them thick and chewy or thin and crisp? We fall in the “soft and chewy” camp, especially when it comes to any sort of nut (or seed) butter-based cookie, and if you’re like us, you will LOVE this honey tahini cookie recipe! Make sure you don’t over bake them as they quickly become crisp and will lose that excellent chewy texture.
To make these honey tahini cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
About the tahini
If you’re not very familiar with tahini, it’s sesame seeds that are finely-ground into a thick paste. We’ve talked a bit about what makes good tahini in previous posts (like this Simple Tahini Dressing recipe), and there are actually quite a few factors that contribute to a good quality tahini! Here’s our biggest tip: choose tahini that tastes good right out of the jar. If your tahini is bitter or rancid-tasting, your cookies will taste that way too.
honey tahini cookies: the process
To make these honey tahini cookies, you only need 10 minutes of prep time and an additional 10 minutes of bake time. They’re incredibly easy to mix up, and you’ll be enjoying them fresh out of the oven before you know it!
Here’s a quick summary of the honey tahini cookie making process, but for all the details, scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Mix the cookie batter- Combine the tahini, honey, egg, and vanilla until it’s well blended. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix until it forms a thick dough.
- Scoop and bake- Sccop 1-1/2 tablespoon-sized balls of dough and place them onto the baking sheets. Use the back of a fork to flatten the balls of dough, then bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges look set. You’ll want the center of the cookies to be slightly under-baked since they’ll continue to bake when you remove them from the oven (allow them to cool on the baking sheet).
A quick note about the oven temperature and why we bake these at 325°F. We chose a lower temperature to prevent the honey from burning while the cookies bake. If you know that your oven runs hotter than average, then you may need to bump the temperature down a bit more (you can do a simple oven temperature test with a handy oven thermometer).
Enjoy these soft, chewy, decadent tahini cookies! They’re tender, moist, and not too sweet. Pair them with a hot cup of tea for the perfect mid-afternoon snack, or curb that late-night sugar craving with these naturally-sweetened treats. Caution: they’re super delicious and one is never enough.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Do you love tahini as much as we do? Then you’ll need to try out our Coconut Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies! Chocolate, coconut and tahini are an irresistible combination.
- Our Roasted Veggie Quinoa Bowl with Tahini Cashew Dressing is a bowl of veggie goodness! The flavors and textures in this bowl are incredible, and you’re getting a good dose of nutrients to boot.
- Rolled Spelt Cereal is a hearty and comforting breakfast made extra special topped with warm cinnamon apples, raisins, coconut flakes and tahini!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 325°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine the tahini, honey, egg, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt over the tahini mixture and stir until you get a thick dough.
- Scoop 1-1/2 tablespoon balls of dough and place on the baking sheets. Leave approximately 1-1/2 inches between the dough balls.
- Use the back of a fork or your fingers to flatten the balls of dough then place them in the oven.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until the edges look set. The center of the cookies should look slightly under-baked but they will continue to bake when you remove them from the oven.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet. They will finish baking as the pan cools.
- Choose tahini that tastes good right out of the jar. If your tahini is bitter then the cookies will be bitter. Not all brands taste the same.
- The oven temperature needs to be at 325°F to prevent the honey from burning while the cookies bake. If your oven runs hot then you may need to bump the temperature down a bit more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.