Make way for a new favorite side dish: these honey roasted carrots with sage. They’re nutritious, easy to make, and the best combination of sweet and savory! Plus, they go great with almost any main dish and they only need to roast for about 15 minutes until they’re al dente tender. I love a good quick and healthy veggie side, don’t you?
The sweet-savory flavor profile is from the honey, which caramelizes nicely during the roasting time, and a bit of chopped, fresh sage which adds light pine and citrus notes.
how to make honey roasted carrots
We’re coming up on carrot season and I love seeing all of those vibrant bunches of carrots at the farmer’s market! This roasted carrots recipe is perfect for different carrot varieties, as long as the carrots are cut small enough for quick roasting.
Do you peel carrots before roasting?
Peeling is really based on your personal preference. For these honey roasted carrots, we wash and peel the carrots before cutting them, but you could technically skip the peeling process if you clean the carrots well.
How do you cut carrots for roasting?
After washing and peeling, cut each carrot lengthwise into quarters. Then, cut crosswise into 3-inch-long sections. Alternatively, you can cut the carrots into diagonal chunks or thick 2-inch slices. If you have small, thin carrots, leave them whole.
We find this size of carrot works best for the quick roast. They’re not too large to soften in the roasting time, yet not too small to where they turn out mushy. We’re going for an al dente texture, tender but still firm when you bite into them.
Here’s what you need to make these delicious, honey roasted carrots with sage:
- carrots (washed, peeled and cut as described above)
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and white pepper
- fresh sage leaves + sprigs for garnish
And here’s the process (scroll down to the bottom of the page to check out the full recipe!):
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the prepared carrots in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and chopped sage.
- Spread the carrots in a single layer onto the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes until the carrots are tender and start to caramelize.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a serving dish, and garnish with chopped sage and sage sprigs.
If you have leftovers we highly recommend making this sriracha carrot hummus.
pro-tips for honey roasted carrots with sage
- Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat will prevent the carrots from sticking to the pan. Since the roasted carrots are also covered in a honey mixture, a lined sheet will also keep the caramelized sugar from burning!
- Leave space between the carrots when you’re roasting them. If needed, you can use two baking sheets and alternate the pans in the oven about half-way through the roasting time.
how healthy are carrots?
We’ve all heard it – eat your carrots (most likely mom’s words, right? 😉 ). Well, it’s advice that we should continue to take because carrots are packed with nutrition! They’re rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that play pivotal roles in our health. But did you know they can even help prevent wrinkles, strengthen your teeth and balance blood sugar? Here’s a good read on the health benefits of carrots!
We hope you LOVE this roasted carrots recipe! Honey roasted carrots are already delightful, but adding a bit of sage helps enhance the sweet flavor of the honey. It’s quick and tasty, and a great way to eat your veggies!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Roasted Asparagus with Curry Sauce: Roasted Asparagus with Curry Sauce is a quick 5-minute roast in a hot oven. The make-ahead creamy curry sauce is made with low-fat mayo and no-fat Greek Yogurt. The dish is topped off with curry dusted cashews.
- Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes: Garlic and rosemary roasted potatoes is an easy recipe that you can throw together in no time. It is the perfect side dish to any dinner.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic have a caramelized flavor combined with the sweetness of aged balsamic and a crunchy sprinkling of toasted hazelnuts.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3 pounds carrots
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Fresh sage sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the carrots under cold water then peel them and cut lengthwise into quarters, then in 3-inch sections. Place the carrots in a large bowl, and toss with the olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and chopped sage.
- Spread the carrots in a single layer onto the prepared sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes until the carrots are tender and begin to caramelize.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the carrots to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped fresh sage and sage sprigs. Serve hot.
- Line the baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silpat mat. This will keep the carrots from sticking to the pan and the caramelized sugar from burning.
- Leave space between the carrots, if necessary, use two baking sheets and alternate the pans half-way through the cooking time.
- The carrots can be cut in diagonal chunks, thick 2-inch slices or cut lengthwise into quarters. Small, thin carrots can be left whole.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Silpat Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Petite Jelly Roll Size, 8-1/4" x 11-3/4"
- Parchment Paper Sheets - 200-Count Precut Unbleached Parchment Paper for Baking, Half Sheet Pans, Non-Stick Baking Sheet Paper, Brown, 12 x 16 Inches
- Excellante 18" X 13" Half Size Aluminum Sheet Pan, Comes In Each
- Simply Organic Pepper, White, 2.86 oz
- Nature Nate’s 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Organic Honey; 32-oz. Squeeze Bottle, Honey’s Balanced Flavor and Wholesome Benefits, Just as Nature Intended (Packaging may vary)
- California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil Mild & Buttery -- 16.9 fl oz - 2 pc
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.