Our easy healthy huevos rancheros will certainly start your day on a good note. If you’re like me and have a soft spot for both breakfast foods and Mexican-inspired cuisine, you’ll find that huevos rancheros are what breakfast dreams are made of. Or brunch… or lunch… dinner, too.
This easy healthy huevos rancheros recipe is simple enough to whip together during a lazy morning in, but also suits any weekend brunch spread. The eggs are steam-fried in a skillet, then nestled on top of a warm corn tortilla covered with all of the fixings. A spicy salsa sauce brings the heat, and black beans and avocado give this dish the perfect balance of flavor and nourishment.
what are huevos rancheros?
Huevos rancheros, which is Spanish for “ranchers eggs,” is an authentic Mexican breakfast dish made with simple ingredients that carry bold flavor. It’s standard Mexican fare topped with eggs, which gives it that delicious “breakfast” touch.
why we love this huevos rancheros recipe
There’s a lot to love about this healthy breakfast dish, which is why we can’t get enough of it! It is:
- Easy to make and comes together quickly
- Healthy– high in protein, healthy fats, and gluten-free (also dairy optional)
- Full of bold flavors and different textures
- Filling and satisfying, with an egg cooked to perfection
- Easy to customize with toppings of choice
how to make these healthy huevos rancheros
To make easy healthy huevos rancheros, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Your favorite salsa
- Black beans
- Corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Fresh limes
- Cilantro sprigs
- Shredded Pepper Jack cheese or Cotija crumbles (optional)
Making huevos rancheros is done in a few steps. Be sure to check out the full recipe card at the bottom of the page for all the details, but here’s a quick summary:
- Heat the salsa in a saucepan until it’s bubbly and hot, then keep it warm on low.
- Rinse the canned black beans in a mesh strainer, then heat them in a separate saucepan until they’re hot.
- Stack four tortillas on a microwaveable plate and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave them in 30-second increments until they’re warm. Repeat with the remaining four tortillas and cover them to keep them warm while you prepare the eggs.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet, tipping it so it coats the bottom of the pan. Place the eggs into the skillet, cooking them until the whites begin to set. Add 1/3 cup of water to the skillet, cover the pan, and let the eggs steam until they’re cooked how you like them.
- Assemble the huevos rancheros! Spoon the salsa on half of a tortilla and black beans on the other half. Top each serving with one egg and add avocado on the side. Garnish with cilantro and Pepper Jack cheese, if using.
Why we steam-fry the eggs
Here’s a trick for getting those eggs perfectly cooked, every single time! If you’ve never steam-fried eggs, it’s a must-try. In fact, you might never cook your eggs any other way again!
Steam-frying is done by cooking with oil and water… steaming and frying, just as the term suggests. This method works wonderfully for frying eggs, because the added water (resulting in steam) cooks the eggs more gently than frying alone. When you pour the water into the frying pan and cover the eggs, it results in more tender egg whites and creamier yolks.
Hungry yet? 😊 Our easy healthy huevos rancheros is a delightful way to enjoy your morning! If you’ve never enjoyed homemade huevos rancheros, you’ll love this breakfast spin on Mexican fare.
Enjoy, and let us know what you think!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Our Baked Eggs with Tomatoes and Onions are a healthy, low-fat start to your day! Make these with fresh tomatoes for some extra deliciousness.
- This Copycat Starbucks Banana Bread is a sweet treat, any time of the day! Our recipe tastes just like the Starbucks version, and you don’t have to leave the house for it!
- Instant Pot Black Beans are quick and simple to make, and go with just about any meal! Enjoy these as a healthy, protein-rich side dish, on top of nachos, for Taco Tuesday, or even with this huevos rancheros recipe!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 16 ounce jar salsa, (your favorite)
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) black beans
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 2 fresh limes, quartered
- Cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese or Cotija crumbles (optional)
Prepare the Salsa, Beans and Tortillas:
- Pour the salsa into a saucepan set over medium and heat until it is bubbly and hot. Reduce the heat to low, cover and keep warm.
- Add the black beans to a mesh strainer and rinse with cold tap water. Place the beans into another saucepan and heat over medium until hot, cover and keep warm.
- While the salsa and beans are heating, Stack four tortillas on a microwaveable plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second bursts until they are warm. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining stack of 4 tortillas.
For the Eggs:
- Crack the eggs in separate small dishes and reserve.
- Set a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the oil, tip the skillet to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot and shimmery, tip the eggs into the skillet. Cook the eggs until the whites begin to set. Add 1/3 cup of water to the skillet, cover the pan and let the eggs steam to your desired doneness.
- Place one tortilla on each of 4 plates. Spoon 1/4 cup of salsa on half of the tortilla and 1/4 cup of the black beans on the other half. Top each serving with one egg and add 1/4 of the avocado to the side. Garnish with cilantro and Pepper Jack cheese if using.
- Use your favorite salsa, we used Arriba, Medium, Fire Roasted
- As an option, the beans can be heated in a microwaveable dish
- Traditionally the eggs are cooked sunny-side up, they can also be cooked over-easy, poached or even scrambled.
- Cotija crumbles is a Mexican cheese
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 1268mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 11gProtein: 17g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.