Chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies are buttery and crisp, with a light layer of rich chocolate that adds a special touch to this classic cookie. With only five ingredients required, a prep time of 15 minutes, and no cookie cutters necessary, there’s really no reason to not make these easy shortbread cookies right away!
Why You Will Love Them
I don’t know about you, but when I bite into a crisp and buttery shortbread cookie, it’s like a little piece of nostalgia. Nothing beats homemade shortbread cookies- they are melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
Similar to our Oatmeal Shortbread and our Easy Shortbread Pastry, these chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies have a rich and scrumptious flavor. You will certainly need more than one or two, and most definitely alongside a hot cup of tea, coffee, or French hot cocoa.
Plus, we’re upping the yum factor by dipping these treats in dark chocolate for a striking contrast of colors and an unbeatable flavor.
- sweet and buttery
- crisp cookies that melt in your mouth
- a classic shortbread cookie made even better with chocolate
- easy to prepare (only 5 ingredients for the cookie!)
The Ingredient List
Just like a traditional shortbread cookie recipe, the ingredient list for our chocolate-dipped version is very basic. To make these, you will need:
- Butter, softened
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- finely-chopped chocolate (for the chocolate dip)
How to Make Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies
We absolutely love how easy this recipe is and we know you will too! There’s no need for special equipment, and the mixing time takes just a few minutes!
It’s a simple mix, roll, cut, and bake for the cookie itself. The finishing touch is as easy as melting chocolate and dipping one corner of the cookie in a cute, diagonal pattern that adds an elegant touch.
Take note- you will need to chill the dough for at least three hours so make sure to plan accordingly. 🙂
Here’s a quick step-by-step for making these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies (be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to view the full printable recipe card):
- Make the dough and chill: Us a electric hand mixer or a stand mixer to mix the dough. Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least three hours.
- Bake the shortbread cookies: Roll the dough into a rectangle and cut cookies into narrow rectangles. Place the cookies onto a lined baking sheet and bake.
- Cool and dip: When the cookies finish baking, cool them completely on a cooling rack. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. Dip the cookies and place each one on a cooling rack until the chocolate sets.
Since these are chocolate dipped shortbread cookies, you will want to be sure to keep the finished cookies in a cool place to prevent the chocolate from getting too warm. If you temper the chocolate, they will stand up to warmer temperatures better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Store the dough in the refrigerator (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap) for up to four days. You can also store the dough in the freezer for up to three months.
Classic shortbread is dense and buttery, and has a high ratio of butter to flour. That’s what gives it that familiar crispness and melt-in-your-mouth feel. Shortbread is also a bit more crumbly than sugar cookies, which are typically lighter, more pliable, and made with less butter.
As they bake, the bottom of these shortbread cookies will brown slightly, but shouldn’t be too dark. You’ll know they are done when the edges start to turn a light, golden brown (and the bottom of the cookie will be the same shade).
Happy baking, friends! These chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies are the perfect, buttery treat for any occasion, and they make wonderful little gifts, too!
Some of the following are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase something, we may receive a small commission. You don’t pay any extra but it will help us keep the lights on.
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love:
These Crispy Double Chocolate Cookies are absolutely addictive. This is the simplest chocolate cookie recipe! There’s no need to cream the butter, there’s no chill time, and no rolling dough. And what you’re left with is a rich and chocolatey cookie that is thin, crisp, and packed with mini chocolate chips.
Try a new flavor with our Coconut Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies. Soft and chewy with a mild, nutty flavor of tahini and a delicious combo of coconut and chocolate. These cookies are loaded with deliciousness, from the scrumptious flavor to the amazing texture.
A creamy almond filling, sweet fig jam, and buttery shortbread crust come together in this elegant fig tart. Topped with a bounty of fresh figs, each bite is sweet and juicy with a delicate flavor that’s just delightful.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 7 ounces finely chopped chocolate
- Beat the butter, powdered sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the flour then transfer the dough to the counter.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap it in plastic wrap. Chill for at least three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into an 8 inch by 9-inch rectangle. Cut cookies into rectangles 1-inch wide by 3-inches long. First cut eight 1-inch strips that are 9-inches long then cut the strips into 3-inch sections. See the photos for reference.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges get light golden brown. Cool the cookies on a cooling rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwavable dish or over a double boiler.
- Dip the cookies in the chocolate and transfer them to a cooling rack until the chocolate hardens.
You can store the dough in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to three months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 223mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.