This recipe for chipotle chicken enchiladas is a blast from the past with some new-fangled upgrades. My friend and co-worker, Maria, gave me her recipe for chicken enchiladas way back in 1978 when we both worked as aids for the U.S. government school (DODDS) in Subic Bay, Philippines.
Whenever there was a pot-luck at the school, the dish Maria brought was always the first one to be left empty. This chipotle chicken enchilada recipe uses fresh roasted poblano chilies but the canned variety works just fine. There is a great tutorial from Julie of ‘This Gal Cooks’ on how to roast your own poblano chilies that you could check out. The recipe Maria gave to me used the canned green chilies and a can of cream of chicken soup and that is how I always prepared it. My new version is with fresh roasted chiles plus I exchanged the chicken soup to a mixture of sour cream, yogurt and chicken broth as well as added some spicy chipotle powder to the mix to give it more ‘kick’.
This recipe for chipotle chicken enchiladas will serve eight, although the photos show only half a recipe. I have the other four all rolled, wrapped in plastic and in the freezer and will bake for another meal.
Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken enchiladas that are spiced up with chilies and chipotle and smothered in a white sauce of sour cream and yogurt and topped with three kinds of cheese.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 red bell pepper
- 2-3 Poblano chilies, roasted, skinned and chopped or 2-3 cans (7 ounce) of whole green chilies
- 3 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (depending on your taste preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 8 medium soft flour tortillas
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat an oven-proof 9x13 casserole dish with oil or non-stick spray
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and red bell pepper and cook until the onion is translucent. Remove from the heat and add the green chilies, chicken, cumin, oregano, chipotle and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl combine the three types of grated cheese; reserve one cup and mix the remainder into the chicken mixture. Toss to combine well.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, yogurt, chicken broth and the additional chipotle powder, stirring to mix well.
- Place 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla and tucking in the sides, roll up and place in the casserole dish. When all the tortillas have been rolled, spoon the sour cream/yogurt mixture over the top, place the casserole dish on the middle rack of the oven and bake the for 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly on top. Transfer from the oven, add the garnish and serve hot.