Meatless Monday?? Oh, yeah! This Southwest Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole is fast and easy with all the savory flavors you love in tacos.
Tacos are always a favorite on our table and this wholesome, nutritious taco seasoning simmer sauce has a wonderful blend of spices and herbs making it the centerpiece of this casserole. We used a packet of Simply Organic-Southwest Taco Simmer Sauce to create this delicious meatless casserole. This sauce is perfect for simmering meat in and gives it a spicy southwest spin. We definitely recommend using this sauce for a quick and easy meat-based meal, however for this recipe, we went ‘outside the box’ of the simmer sauce instructions to show the versatility of the sauce. The Simmer Sauce flavors the quinoa superbly!
We combined quinoa with the simmer sauce and all those wonderful flavors in the sauce were absorbed into the quinoa grains. Quinoa is a favorite ingredient in our arsenal for quick meals. It is an ancient, high-protein, gluten-free grain. One cup of cooked quinoa provides eight grams of protein and five grams of fiber.
We added nutritious black beans, corn and a generous measured blend of mozzarella and cheddar cheese to the top, then it was baked briefly to heat through and get that cheese all melty and gooey.
Salty Cotija cheese and chopped fresh cilantro was sprinkled on top of the casserole and it was served with avocado slices, salsa, sour cream and fresh lime wedges.
This nutritious and high-protein Southwest Quinoa and Black Bean casserole is perfect for a healthy Meatless Monday, gluten-free or vegetarian meal.
This recipe is sponsored by Simply Organic, a nutritionally conscious company that we are happy to support. Their Southwest Taco Simmer Sauce helps make a quick and easy weeknight meal. Use it for this fast and easy casserole then give it a try with some ground beef for your next taco night. You won’t be disappointed.
How to make our Southwest Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 packet Southwest Taco Simmer Sauce
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn (or fresh if you cut it off the cob)
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we blended mozzarella and cheddar)
- Cotija cheese
- Sour Cream
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan then add the chopped onion. Cook until golden. Add the garlic, quinoa, broth, and simmer sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the saucepan and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- When the quinoa is almost finished, pre-heat the oven to 375° F.
- Transfer the quinoa to a 8 inch casserole dish. Top with the corn, black beans then the shredded cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cheese is hot and melted.
- Serve with Cotija cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocado and a squeeze of lime.
Amount Per Serving Calories 212 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 49mg Sodium 693mg Carbohydrates 29g Fiber 10g Sugar 5g Protein 10g