Cherry Blossom Cookies are rich and tender and delicate in flavor, with cherry extract in the cookie dough and a sweet cherry cordial Hershey’s kiss nestled in the center of each cookie. These festive pink and red cookies taste just as wonderful as they look, and are a great addition to any occasion that calls for a sweet treat.
Also called Cherry Kiss Cookies, due to the cherry cordial Hershey’s kiss nestled in the centers, every bite of a cherry blossom cookie is pure bliss.
Buttery cookies are infused with flavor from a combination of cherry extract, cherry juice, chopped maraschino cherries and almond extract. It creates a sweet cherry almond cookie that goes so well with the rich, chocolate-y Hershey’s kiss.
This is a great recipe to make during the holiday season, since these delicious cookies add a pretty pop of color to a Christmas cookie tray, holiday party or gathering.
But they’re just as ideal for Valentine’s Day, when the combination of fruit and chocolate is also irresistible.
Why This Cookie Recipe Works
Our chocolate cherry blossom cookies are sweet and buttery cookies that have the potential to become your new favorite Christmas cookie recipe (right alongside these Easy Christmas Cutout Cookies, our Candy Cane Cookies, Soft Sugar Cookies and Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies)!
For another fruity cookie, you might also love these Strawberry Shortbread Cookies, which are sweet and rich with light strawberry flavor!
The cordial cherry kiss nestled into the centers elevates each cookie and makes it taste like a cross between a cookie and a chocolate candy, truly the best of both worlds!
Here’s why you’ll love this recipe:
- The flavors of sweet cherry, almond and chocolate complement each other perfectly.
- It’s easy to follow and perfect for all your holiday season baking!
- Cherry blossom cookies are fun, pretty and festive.
- They work for any occasion, any time of year.
Ingredients Needed For Cherry Blossoms
Here’s a look at the simple ingredients you’ll need to make our Cherry Blossom butter cookies! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to view the printable recipe card for a full list and ingredient amounts.
- Butter. Unsalted butter is the perfect fat for the cookie and lends a rich, creamy, buttery flavor.
- Granulated sugar. Regular white sugar is all you need!
- Egg. This helps bind everything together and gives the cookies rise. Make sure your egg is at room temperature.
- Maraschino juice. A couple of teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice adds a light cherry flavor without tasting artificial.
- Cherry bakery emulsion or extract. Another delicious way to infuse these cookies with cherry flavor!
- Almond extract. Adds a light almond flavor that compliments the cherries.
- Red food coloring (optional). This is optional, but is a great way to add a pop of color to the cherry blossom bites.
- All-purpose flour. Gives the cookies a soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Baking soda and salt. Pantry staples that are a must in this recipe!
- Maraschino cherries. Chopped maraschino cherries folded in adds more and we love the light chewiness in the cookie dough.
- Granulated sugar or red sanding sugar. For a sweet dusting of red or white sugar on the outside of the cookies.
- Cherry cordial Hershey’s kisses. The chocolate cherry “kiss” that makes these cherry kiss cookies!
Our Cherry Blossom Cookies Recipe
Here’s a look at how to make these pretty cherry blossom cookies! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer. With a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg, juice, baking emulsion, almond extract and food coloring. Mix until well combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the butter mixture and beat just until it’s mixed. Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place the cherry blossom dough balls on a cookie sheet and bake until the edges are light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately press a cherry cordial kiss into the warm cookies. Let them cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
We have a few fun twists to our cherry blossoms recipe. Whether it’s crunchy pistachios or a dark chocolate bite, these recipe variations are sure to make your cookie baking even more exciting!
Pistachio Cherry Blossom Cookie Bites
- Add 1/4 cup of finely ground pistachios into the flour mixture.
- Instead of rolling the cherry blossoms in just sugar, use a mix of sugar and finely chopped pistachios.
Chocolate Cherry Hershey Kiss Cookies:
- Reduce the chopped maraschino cherries to ½ cup.
- Add ¾ cup mini chocolate chips to the cherry blossom dough.
- Instead of a cherry kiss, place a single dark chocolate Hershey’s Kiss in the center.
Chocolate-Dipped Cherry Blossom Cookies:
- Once the cherry blossoms get baked and cooled, melt dark chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip the bottom of each cookie in the melted chocolate and place them on parchment paper to set.
Recipe Tips for Success
- If you don’t have cherry emulsion or extract, you can use one more teaspoon of maraschino juice and an extra 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract when making the cookie dough.
- Watch how much of the almond extract you use in this recipe. Just a little bit too much of it will overpower the flavor in the cookies. While a small amount will enhance the cherry flavor, too much of it will make the cookies taste more like almond.
- Store these cookies on a tray covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 days.
Helpful Stuff for Our Cherry Blossom Kiss Cookies
Here are some ingredients and supplies we used for this cookie recipe. Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
- baking sheet and cooling rack
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowls
- Baking emulsion
- Cherry cordial Hershey Kisses
More Recipes You Will Love:
- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread
- Easy Madeleine Cookies
- Chewy Pistachio Cookies
- Maple Pecan Cookies
- Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1-½ teaspoons cherry bakery emulsion or extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (240 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped maraschino cherries
To finish the cookies
- ½ cup granulated sugar or red sanding sugar
- 46 to 48 cherry cordial Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the juice, baking emulsion, almond extract, and food coloring if using. Beat until well blended.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt over the mixing bowl and beat on medium speed just until combined. Mix in the chopped cherries.
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls of dough in granulated sugar or red sanding sugar.
- Place the dough balls on the baking sheet 2-inches apart and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown.
- When you remove the cookies from the oven, immediately press a cherry cordial kiss into the warm cookies. let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- If you can’t find cherry emulsion or extract, add one more teaspoon of cherry juice and an extra ¼ teaspoon of almond extract.
- Use restraint when adding the almond extract, as it tends to overpower the cookies in larger amounts. A small amount will enhance the cherry flavor, but too much will dominate and make it taste more like bitter almond.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.