This carrot soup has all the flavors of bright fresh carrots in a creamy and smooth bowl of soup. It is a healthy, low fat and delicious soup that will leave you wanting seconds.
Not only is it healthy and delicious but it is incredibly easy to make. Just cook everything in the pot until the carrots are soft then give the whole thing a whir in the blender. If you have a hand held immersion blender it makes things even easier and reduces the mess and clean up. It is one of my favorite kitchen tools.
The lemon adds a refreshing zing to the soup and is the secret ingredient that sends this recipe over the top. The hint of nutmeg is a delightful addition and I recommend using freshly grated nutmeg over the pre-ground type. Pre-ground nutmeg just doesn’t do the same thing as fresh nutmeg.
All you need to get freshly grated nutmeg is a whole nutmeg seed and a microplane. It takes just a few seconds longer than using the jar of ground nutmeg and it makes a big difference. Pre-ground nutmeg looses it’s potency fairly quickly.
More outstanding soups you may be interested in:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or 1 spray of cooking oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds carrots, cleaned and cut in 1/2 inch segments
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- Plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream
- chopped chives
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until soft then add the garlic, tomato paste, carrots, chicken broth, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low. Cover the pot and cook for about 30 or 40 minutes until the carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice to the pot and either use an immersion blender to puree the soup or scoop the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. (if you use a blender allow the soup to cool down first before blending it)
- If you prefer a thinner soup just add a bit more broth until it is thin enough.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and some chopped chives.
Slimming World or Weight Watchers:
SW Syn Free
WW Zero Points (if you use 1 spray of cooking oil)
Nutrition value does not include the garnishes.
We are not authorized Slimming World or Weight Watchers consultants. This information should not replace your authorized consultants advice.
Amount Per ServingCalories 117 Total Fat 3.2g Saturated Fat 0.6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 877mg Carbohydrates 18g Fiber 5g Sugar 9g Protein 4g