Applesauce coffee cake! It’s so tender and moist and loaded with autumn-inspired flavors. Applesauce gives the cake extra sweetness and a moist texture while the spiced crumble topping adds a lovely crunch.
This is one of those coffee cake recipes you’ll crave in the cooler months, and who can blame you?! It’s delicious, cozy, and idyllic with a hot cup of coffee.
It’s like an apple coffee cake with the most subtle yet sweet apple flavor and extra moist crumb, thanks to the addition of applesauce.
The streusel bakes in the middle of the cake and also creates a crunchy topping. Plus, a sweet drizzle takes it over the top!
Naturally, this is a great recipe for the fall and winter, when you’re craving something sweet, spiced and warming. Let it be a slice of this tender and delicious cake!
Why This Coffee Cake Recipe Works
There is so much goodness packed into each bite. The addition of applesauce makes it slightly healthier, since it calls for a tad less sugar than a traditional coffee cake.
Sour cream or Greek yogurt add more moisture to the cake, while a combination of butter and vegetable oil is a secret combo that helps the cake stay moist for days.
We haven’t even discussed that crunchy crumbly topping… Hearty walnuts or oats, cinnamon, butter and brown sugar create a lovely medley of flavors that toasts beautifully on top of the cake and gives it an irresistible crunch.
Why you’ll love our applesauce coffee cake:
- It’s an easy coffee cake to prepare with all the flavors you’d expect of a true apple cinnamon coffee cake.
- The applesauce creates an extra moist crumb with an impressive texture.
- The classic fall flavor of apple shines in this recipe! You’ll be craving a slice of this sweet cake with your morning coffee.
Applesauce Cake Ingredients
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need for this applesauce cake recipe. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
The ingredients for coffee cake.
Ingredients needed for the streusel topping.
- All-purpose flour. For the crumble topping and the cake itself!
- Chopped walnuts or oats. For added crunch in the streusel!
- Brown sugar. The rich, caramel flavor of brown sugar in the crumbly topping gives the cake extra flavor depth and sweetness.
- Cinnamon. This spice is a must-have for both the topping and the coffee cake batter.
- Salt. A dash of salt helps bring out all the other flavors, even in sweet recipes!
- Butter. What’s a good streusel without butter? You’ll need melted butter in the topping and in the cake itself.
- Applesauce. The secret ingredient! Unsweetened applesauce adds moisture, sweetness and a light apple flavor.
- Sugar. Your basic granulated white sugar to achieve the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt. This creates a moist and rich cake (and Greek yogurt adds a bit more protein!).
- Eggs. For binding and leavening.
- Vegetable oil. A couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in the batter ensures the cake stays moist days later.
- Vanilla extract. For a sweet vanilla flavor that pairs well with the spices.
- Baking powder and baking soda. The combination gives this coffee cake just the right amount of rise.
- Nutmeg and ground cloves. These fall favorites work with the cinnamon to create the perfect blend of spices!
- Confectioner’s sugar. To sweeten the glaze.
- Milk. For a creamy glaze to drizzle on top of the coffee cake.
The applesauce subtly infuses the cake with a light apple taste. For a stronger apple flavor, simply mix in ½ cup of small apple pieces or grated apple into the batter.
Our Applesauce Coffee Cake Recipe
Here’s a look at the steps required to make it! For all of the details and ingredient amounts, scroll to the bottom of the page to view our printable recipe card.
Before you begin: Prepare a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray and preheat your oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine the nuts (or oats), flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the melted butter and mix well to create the streusel topping. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, sour cream, eggs, melted butter, oil and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients until combined.
- Place a sifter over the mixing bowl and add the dry ingredients. Sift the flour mixture into the batter and stir with a wide spatula until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan (use only about half) and top it with half of the streusel.
- Pour the rest of the batter on top and sprinkle streusel on top of the batter.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small dish, then sprinkle it over the coffee cake.
Bake, then let cool on a wire rack. Make the glaze and drizzle it over the cake.
Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Bliss
Fold in ½ cup each of finely diced apples and dried cranberries into the batter. Add an extra teaspoon of cinnamon for that burst of cinnamon apple spice. Add ¼ teaspoon of almond extract to complement the apple flavor.
Apple Crumble Fusion
If you can’t decide between apple crumble and applesauce coffee streusel cake, why not have both? You can make a super thick crumb topping similar to a New York style crumb cake recipe. Make the following changes to the streusel topping: Increase the brown sugar to 1 cup, the flour to 2 cups, and the butter to 1 cup.
Pro Tips for the Best Applesauce Coffee Streusel Cake
- Be careful not to over-mix the batter. Applesauce cakes are extra tender, but over-mixing can create a tougher cake. Use a wide rubber spatula and gently fold the dry ingredients in, just until they’re all incorporated. The batter will be slightly lumpy and that’s okay!
- Store the cake in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days at room temperature or for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- To freeze this coffee cake, store it in a freezer-proof container. It will keep well for up to three months.
Here are some items we used in this recipe. Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
More Recipes You Will Love:
Have you ever made apple curd from scratch!? Our Apple Curd Recipe creates a smooth, luxurious and flavorful apple spread that has so many uses! It’s like a cross between apple pie filling, apple butter and a thick custard. Cinnamon and nutmeg add a delicious touch of warmth.
Apple Ginger Muffins feature sweet chunks of fresh apple and spicy bits of candied ginger tucked into a tender muffin batter. A ginger glaze drizzled on top adds a delicious finishing touch to this recipe. Enjoy one of these for breakfast to kickstart your day!
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup sugar (150 grams)
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-¾ cups all purpose flour (210 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
For the Streusel Topping
- Add the nuts or oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter and mix until combined. Set the mixture aside while you mix the coffee cake.
Make the Coffee Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9 inch springform pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, sour cream, eggs, melted butter, oil, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Place a sifter over the mixing bowl and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and stir with a wide spatula just until incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter into the baking pan and sprinkle ½ of the streusel on top. Add the rest of the cake batter to the pan. Sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a small dish (it will look like wet sand), then sprinkle it over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or unit a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs stuck to the toothpick.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let it cool.
- Combine the confectioner's sugar and milk in a small bowl, then drizzle over the cake.
- For the most tender cake, do not over-mix the batter. Use a wide spatula and fold the dry ingredients in just until incorporated. The batter should look slightly lumpy.
- Store the cake in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days at room temperature or for up to 5 days in the fridge. You can freeze the cake for three months if stored in a freezer-proof container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 561mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.