It has been months since I have made a spinach salad, I surely don’t know why as I love them and I always have the ingredients in the refrigerator. Today I was searching my recipe box and found my old recipe for spinach salad dressing and I suddenly had a craving for a spinach salad.
This is a really colorful salad that is very healthy and full of flavor and nutrition. It is so wonderfully delicious and satisfying and looks beautiful heaped up in a salad bowl.
Also, it has everything in there that you need for a meal; good fiber from the bright greens of baby spinach leaves, red tomatoes and purple onions. Plus, protein from the eggs, mushrooms and bacon.
The balsamic vinaigrette includes garlic and a spicy brown mustard blended to a creamy goodness with a measure of healthy olive oil. There will be enough vinaigrette for at least another big salad and it keeps well in the refrigerator.
I love this salad and it is a complete balanced meal-in-a-bowl for lunch or dinner all you need add is a warm crusty roll and a glass of white wine. Oh, spinach salad, where have you been all these months!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the Salad
- 8 ounces thick slices bacon
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Set a wire rack over a foil-lined baking sheet and arrange the bacon on the rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the oven and transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. When cool, cut the bacon into 1/2-inch pieces and reserve.
- Add the spinach to a large salad bowl and arrange the onions, mushrooms, eggs and tomatoes in sections over the spinach and distribute the reserved bacon over the top.
For the vinaigrette:
- To a mini-food processor or a blender, add the balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper and blend for 10-20 seconds. While the motor is running, slowly add the olive oil and blend to a thick consistency.
- Pour the desired amount of the vinaigrette over the spinach salad, toss and serve. Or, portion up the un-dressed salad onto individual plates and pass the vinaigrette for guests to add as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 286mgSodium: 971mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.