Is a Yam the Same as a Sweet Potato?
A yam is very different from a sweet potato. Most of the time the “yams” that you see in your local grocery store are actually sweet potatoes. Why they call them yams? I don’t know. A true yam is a pretty ugly tuber. It has a more irregular shape and a brownish grey skin. It is very dry, starchy, and far from sweet. Yams are also toxic if you eat them raw.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
Do you boil sweet potatoes before roasting?
Do sweet potatoes need to be peeled?
You don’t have to peel the sweet potatoes as long as you scrub the dirt off the skin. However, we highly recommend peeling these little nuggets for the best texture.
Can you prep sweet potatoes ahead of time?
You can prep these sweet potatoes ahead of time and they will be just fine. Toss them with the oil and seasonings then set them aside until you are ready to roast them. If you won’t be roasting them for a couple of hours then it is best to keep them in a covered container and store them in the fridge.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
Are you counting Weight Watchers SmartPoints? This is only 1 WWSP per serving.
If you’re on Slimming World this is 2 Syns per servings.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 2-1/2 pounds
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel the skins from the sweet potatoes and cut into 2-inch cubes.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. With your hands, massage the oil into the potatoes to coat each one with oil.
- Spread the cubes out in one layer. Do not crowd them.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden brown and tender when pierced with a fork, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and squeeze lemon juice on top.
- The sweet potatoes will cook evenly by cutting them all the same size.
- The sweet potatoes can be reheated in either the oven or the microwave.
- If reheating in the oven, preheat to 425°F and place them on a baking sheet, heat for 5-minutes to re-crisp.
- To extract more juice from a lemon, stick the fork tines into the lemon and twist. Do this in several places and it breaks up the lemon flesh quickly for mega juice.
- Store leftover potatoes in a covered container for up to 5 days in the refridgerator
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1-1/2 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.