Large lumps of Dungeness crabmeat are mixed throughout this luscious Crabmeat Cocktail with Watermelon, Mango and Avocado. A tangy dressing made with horseradish and lime juice adds a little zing and balances the sweetness of the fruit.
We used fresh Dungeness crabmeat for this refreshing cocktail but King, Snow or any other crabmeat would be just as lovely. Dungeness crabs are found in the Pacific waters of the West Coast. They are especially well known here in Washington state as they inhabit the waters off the Dungeness Spit which they are named after. There is a sweet ocean-flavor to the crabmeat and the bite-size lumps and smaller flakes are mixed throughout this cocktail.
The delicate flavor of the crabmeat pairs well with fruit, the watermelon, mango and avocado chunks are excellent choices and they also lend a tropical flair. Slivers of fresh mint add an additional layer of flavor to our crabmeat cocktail.
This cocktail is very easy to put together although if you are using whole crab it will be tedious to pick the crabmeat out of the shell. Fresh crabmeat is a more practical choice but still needs a bit of inspecting to remove any cartilage that may be included.
This colorful crabmeat cocktail makes a grand debut as a small appetizer serving four guests or as a cool and refreshing light meal for two served with grilled bread and a crisp white wine.
- 8 ounces fresh crabmeat
- 1/2 cup diced watermelon, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- 1 or 2 Limes, cut in half
- In a large shallow bowl add the crabmeat, watermelon, mango, avocado and mint.
- In a small dish, add the horseradish, lime juice and salt whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the horseradish-lime dressing over the crabmeat and fruit and toss gently to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into 2 cocktail glasses, garnish with mint sprigs and half of a lime for each cocktail.
- Serve immediately
- Before adding the crabmeat to the bowl sort through it to remove any pieces of shell or cartilage.
- Stack several mint leaves together then roll them lengthwise into a tight cylinder-roll and slice across into thin slices
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 55mgSodium 379mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 11g