Our recipe for wilted greens with bacon crumbles is simple, healthy, nutrient-dense and delicious. This is a gluten-free and low carb side dish that everyone will love.
My favorite produce market has a bulk-bin of mixed braising greens that I used to make this healthy, nutritious side dish. The mix includes purple and green kale, mustard, collard, Swiss Chard and spinach. The mix is already washed and cut which really adds to the simplicity of putting this dish together. If you don’t have access to a nice ready-mix of greens you can just buy the individual greens that suit you. Any dark leaf, vitamin-rich greens will be wonderful here.
The crisp smokey bacon pairs perfectly with these greens and I love the flavor and crunchy texture it adds to the dish. The red pepper flakes put a little zing in there while the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar balances off any bitterness.
This is a quick and easy side dish for an everyday dinner as well as a special event.
- 4 strips of lean bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 ounces of mixed greens, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Add the bacon to a large skillet set over medium-high heat and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from from the skillet and drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon bits for a garnishment. Pour off all the bacon dripping except for 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the greens and toss to coat with the bacon drippings. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the greens have just wilted down slightly but remain bright colored. Add the cooked bacon bits, drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the top of the greens and toss to combine.
- Transfer the greens to a serving dish and sprinkle the reserved bacon bits on the top
The mix includes purple and green kale, mustard, collard, Swiss Chard and spinach.