Portobello mushrooms are one of my favorites, and they are available pretty much the whole year. Crimini mushrooms and portobellos are the same but differ in size. These nice big mushrooms are the perfect size for this recipe of stuffed portobellos with feta cheese.
I was inspired to make these after seeing them in the deli recently, they are pretty easy to create and full of a lot of nutrition but low on calories and fat. They have a good amount of protein with plenty of vegetables included so I only added a salad and sliced tomatoes to make it a meal.
We have a added a new icon to our page along with the Facebook, Twitter and Google+, it is Yummly and if you like this recipe and want to save it to your personal yummly recipe box, just click on the “Y” icon.
- 4 large portabello mushrooms
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced white and green
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalepeno pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a wire rack on it.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and cut out the stems. Using a teaspoon, scrape the gills from the underneath side of the mushrooms, discard.
- Place the mushroom caps on the wire rack and brush with olive oil. Reserve
- Chop the mushroom stems finely and add to a large mixing bowl. Squeeze the water out of the spinach, chop and add to the bowl, add the green onion, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic, rosemary thyme, salt and pepper. Add the crumbled feta cheese, the beaten eggs and lemon juice, stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture equally between the mushroom caps, fill and pack firmly with the spoon. Add grated parmesan cheese to the top of each one and transfer the baking sheet to the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, the parmesan cheese will be golden. Serve
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 862mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.