This is one of my favorite pancake recipes. The ricotta gives them a delicate, creamy texture and a special richness. You will not want to use a pancake mix again when you taste how good these pancakes are. Plus they only take a few minutes to mix up. They are light, fluffy, tender and DELICIOUS!! . They don’t taste cheesy and if I don’t tell anyone that ricotta is in them they never guess what the special ingredient is.
These pancakes are good without anything on them but today I am pairing them with some tangy pomegranate syrup. The pomegranate syrup is quite easy to make but it does take some time to reduce down. You can make it in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup sugar
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, eggs, milk, sugar, orange zest and vanilla until well combined and smooth.
- Fold the flour mixture into the ricotta mixture until just combined.
- Pre-heat a skillet over medium heat or heat an electric griddle to 375° and lightly oil it.
- When the griddle is hot, spread ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles start to form on the surface of the pancake then flip and cook the other side until brown.
- Combine the pomegranate juice and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar is dissolved reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes. The juice will reduce to about 1-¼ cups. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Amount Per ServingCalories 244 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 264mg Carbohydrates 45g Fiber 1g Sugar 34g Protein 7g