Our chicken-mushroom pizza is made with a wholesome soft and tender einkorn crust and topped with a creamy sauce, mushrooms, chicken and parmesan cheese.. Mmmm, yum!
This is pizza night! We can’t decide which part of this pizza is the best, the flavor of the whole grain einkorn crust that is so tender and flavorful or that filling of creamy cheese, mushroom slices, shredded chicken breast and bubbly melted cheese. One thing for sure….this is one good pizza! We will be having ‘pizza night’ more often.
We used our recipe for whole grain einkorn pizza dough which uses the fold-and stretch technique to make the dough then it is divided in half and each section is formed into a ball. The balls of dough are wrapped tightly in plastic and frozen until ready to bake a pizza. If you are really into pizza making you can stir up a double batch of pizza dough and store in the freezer, giving you a supply for four pizza-night dinners.
Wrapping the dough tightly and freezing it prevents the dough from expanding and when thawed and baked it develops a complex flavor with nice texture. We didn’t roll the dough with a rolling pin, we put the lump of dough on our pizza peel and just pushed and stretched it to the desired size and formed the rim.
As mentioned in the dough recipe, this makes a sticky dough and you will need to keep a dish of water handy to dip your fingers in when forming the dough into a circle. Also, be sure to add cornmeal on the pizza peel to keep the dough from sticking. If you don’t want to use cornmeal then put a sheet of parchment paper down on the pizza peel.
Parchment paper is something I always keep stocked in my kitchen. It is so incredibly versatile. I use it to line baking sheets, cake pans, wrap compound butter in, wrap fish in to steam and I even use it to lay on my countertop when I have messy jobs.
It is so tempting to load up the pizza with toppings but we have found that a limited amount of toppings makes for a much better pizza. Less toppings will allow the flavor of the pizza crust to shine and a slice is easier to pick up and eat in-hand.
Our creamy cheese sauce with garlic, white wine, cream and cheese is similar to an Alfredo sauce and makes enough to use for the pizza with some left over for pasta another time. Or….another chicken-mushroom pizza with einkorn crust.
After spreading sauce on the pizza dough, it is sprinkled with fresh thyme leaves, then the mushrooms and shredded chicken are added. A generous amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese covers the top and all is baked in a hot oven until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly-hot.
I have not quite perfected the ‘pizza peel slide’ but it keeps getting easier. If giving the peel a quick shake and wrist-jerk it seems to be sticking, use a bench scraper or long spatula to lift the edges and sprinkle cornmeal under the dough, working all around the circle, until the dough doesn’t stick.
Another trick is to use parchment paper under the pizza. You would simply lay the parchment down on the pizza peel, then put the dough directly on the parchment.
Once the pizza is ready to go into the oven, just slip it in with the parchment paper. The parchment paper can start to brown over 450°F but if you trim the edges close to the pizza dough you will barely notice.
If you do not own a pizza stone or a pizza peel, not to worry. Pull out that old trusty baking sheet and flip it upside down, give it a good brushing with olive oil and sprinkle it with cornmeal plop the lump of dough on it and form the crust, add the toppings and slide the baking sheet right into the oven.
This chicken-mushroom pizza along with a light green salad and an icy-cold beer is a great dinner for four. There is still three more frozen pizza dough balls for more exciting pizza adventures.
There are so many ideas for pizza toppings, we would love to hear what your favorite pizza toppings are.
More recipes using einkorn:
- Beef Casserole with garlic-chive einkorn dumplings
- Einkorn Coconut-Curry Risotto
- Einkorn English Muffins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used Einkorn flour)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ground parmesan cheese
- 1/2 recipe Whole Grain Pizza Dough
- 3/4 cup cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 425°f, place pizza stone in oven
For the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, add the butter and when it has melted, add the garlic. Cook just until it is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook another 30-45 seconds.
- Add the white wine and cook for 1 minute to burn off the alcohol, whisk in the cream cheese, salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the parmesan cheese, whisking to a smooth consistency. Reserve while forming the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza peel (or back of a baking sheet that has been brushed with oil), press and push the pizza dough into a 14-inch round, push the edge inward to form a thick rim. Add about 3/4 cup of the cheese sauce to the pizza dough, spreading it evenly all the way to the rim with the back of a tablespoon. Sprinkle the thyme leaves over the sauce, distribute the mushrooms and shredded chicken evenly. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on the top of the chicken.
- Shake the peel back and forth. If it slides, your good, if not, use a bench scraper or spatula to lift the edges and brush more cornmeal underneath, working around the edge until the dough will slide. Remove the preheated pizza stone from the oven and tip the pizza peel downward to the far edge of the pizza stone while shaking and jerking the peel. The pizza will slide off the peel and lay on the stone as you pull the peel from underneath.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Transfer the pizza from the oven, slice and serve.
Amount Per ServingCalories 233 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 38mg Sodium 440mg Carbohydrates 19g Fiber 2g Sugar 1g Protein 15g