This savory chicken cacciatore dish has the most tender, moist chicken ever! The sauce is rich and delicious with mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs. Served with hot pasta, Yum….
This is Italian night at our house and chicken cacciatore is on the menu! I love all foods Italian, or at least I have not found one yet that I did not like. This is a classic Italian dish that if you have never tried then I encourage you to wait no longer, you will love it as much as I do.
After simmering in a savory mix of vegetables, herbs and wine the chicken is tender and will melt in your mouth with deiciousness. The rich flavorful sauce has just enough consistency to spoon over a generous helping of pasta to coat it lightly. Plus, a crusty piece of bread dipped in that sauce is delicious!
After browning the chicken and sautéing the vegetables and herbs it goes into the oven for forty-five minutes. All you need to compete this chicken cacciatore dinner is to cook the pasta, make a simple salad, slice the bread and open a nice bottle of red wine.
Some More Recipes You Might Love
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in and with the skin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 10 ounces small crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour.
- In a Dutch oven or oven-proof casserole, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken. Sear on both sides to a golden brown, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until translucent, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the chicken broth and the wine, stirring to loosen any bits on the bottom. Add the chopped tomatoes and mushrooms, stir in the tomato paste, the bay leaves, oregano, parsley and thyme.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, add the reserved chicken pieces and transfer the pot to the oven. Cook uncovered for 45-60 minutes. The sauce will reduce and thicken up nicely.
- To serve, transfer the chicken pieces to a serving plate and spoon a little sauce over the top and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Stir the chopped basil into the sauce then transfer the sauce to a separate dish to be served with pasta and bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 29gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 517mgCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 35g