I love an easy recipe that has amazing results. This oatmeal shortbread is just that. Throw the dry ingredients in a bowl, add the butter, blend it together then put it in the pan and bake it. If you have oat flour on hand and do not have to grind your oats then it is even faster. The oat flour adds a nutty flavor to this shortbread and it reduces the gluten development, which gives it a more tender, crumbly texture. It is only lightly sweetened and full of rich buttery flavor.
These are great cookies to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee but what I really like this recipe for is to use it in crusts that call for crumbled cookies. Since these cookies are not overly sweet they make a great base for a sweet pie or cheesecake but they can also handle extra sugar without making it overly sweet. They freeze well so go ahead and bake a batch, eat a few then toss the rest in the freezer until you need to make a great cookie crust.
A buttery shortbread with the addition of ground oats to add a nutty, oaty flavor and crisp texture.
- 1 cup (100 grams) oats (or 1/3 cup oat flour)
- 1 ½ cups (210 grams) flour
- 2/3 cup (80 grams) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan or spring form pan.
- Grind the oats in a blender or spice grinder until they are a fine powder (skip this step if you are using oat flour).
- Place the ground oats in a mixing bowl then add the flour, confectioners sugar, and salt, blend well to combine.
- Add the butter and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until the batter comes together in a smooth mass.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and use a knife to score it into 16 wedges.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400° then reduce the oven temperature to 250° and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove the shortbread from the oven and turn the oven off. Using a sharp knife, cut along the scored lines while the shortbread is still hot. Place the pan back in the oven but do not turn the oven on. Let the shortbread sit in the oven with the door closed for 1 hour while the oven cools down (this will let the shortbread dry out and develop a crisp texture).
- Remove the shortbread from the oven and allow it to cool completely