This zucchini garlic soup is simple and healthy. The white beans give it body and a creamy richness while the garlic adds a bold flavor. Drizzle the top with some extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle some chopped chives or basil over it then serve it up with some crusty bread and a salad.
One of my favorite tools in the kitchen is an emersion blender. It allows you to blend hot liquids right in the pot. It is portable, easy to store and makes clean up fast. I use it to puree soups all the time. It is so much easier and safer than using a standard blender for hot liquids. If you try to blend hot soup in a standard blender you could end up with an explosion of soup all over the kitchen. The hot air in a standard blender will expand, pushing off the lid and blowing the hot soup out of the top.
You can puree soup in a blender if you use caution but you wont ever want to if you have an emersion blender. It makes your work in the kitchen so easy. I don’t just use it for pureeing soup. I make pesto, sauces, hummus, mayonnaise, smoothies and chopped nuts with an emersion blender. It is truly one of my favorite kitchen tools.
Zucchini Garlic Soup
A smooth and creamy soup without any heavy cream or fat. This is healthy and easy to make
Zucchini Garlic Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 20 large garlic cloves, chopped (approximately 2 bulbs of garlic)
- 2 pounds zucchini, shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, beans, chicken broth and wine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes
- Blend with an immersion blender and puree until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup to a standard blender after it has cooled down (see notes).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Always use caution when blending hot liquids in a standard blender. The hot air will expand and push the lid off, exploding hot liquid all over your kitchen. You should let the soup cool down before blending it.
Serving Size 1/6
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1.2 g
Sodium 720 mg
Total Carbohydrates 21 g
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.