We have enjoyed an exceptionally warm summer this year and my garden has done well. Had I known we would be having all these hot days I would surely have planted tomatoes. I bought four large tomatoes and two balls of mozzarella cheese to make this tomato casserole. Tomatoes are at their peak of the season now and the farmers’ markets have some beauties on display.
This tomato casserole was the main event for our meatless-Monday dinner. We also had fresh green beans with bacon crumbles and a nice baby kale, blueberry and blue cheese salad with creamy lemon-honey vinaigrette. It can also be served as a side dish with chicken or fish.
The tomato casserole was made with thick slices of big red tomatoes layered with mozzarella cheese. I sliced the tennis-ball size balls of mozzarella thinly and cuddled them between the tomato slices. A little melted garlic butter drizzled over the top, a generous sprinkle of fresh chopped rosemary, salt/pepper and some crunchy parmesan bread crumbs finished it off.
Not only was this tomato casserole delicious for our dinner, we also had some the next morning for breakfast with a poached egg and multi-grain toast.
Yield 4 -6
This tomato casserole can be served as the main meal accompanied with a fresh green salad and crusty garlic bread. It is also great served as a side dish with chicken or fish.
- 4 medium or large tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper grindings
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and arrange them into two rows, over-lapping, lengthwise to fit into a 9 inch by 6 inch oven proof casserole dish. Cut the mozzarella cheese balls into 1/4-inch slices and place them between slices.
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil and chopped garlic, and drizzle the mixture over the tomatoes and cheese, sprinkle them with the salt and a few grindings of fresh black pepper and the rosemary.
- In another small dish, combine the parmesan cheese and the toasted bread crumbs and distribute the mixture over the casserole. Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot from the oven.
Serving Size 1/2-3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.47 g
Saturated Fat 5.65 g
Cholesterol 24.1 mg
Sodium 335 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.77 g
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 13.8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.