In my ongoing quest to lose a few pounds, I have been searching through my cookbooks and magazines for dessert ideas that have less calories than birthday cakes and ice cream. Fruit is aways a good choice but sometimes it can be a little boring and needs jazzed up with something decadent. Strawberries are almost always available and easy to create something wonderful and delicious.
I was first thinking of Strawberries Romanoff but quickly switched to Strawberries with Marsala and Sweetened Ricotta when I found this recipe in Nick Stellino’s cookbook and have adapted it to fit for me. This recipe has a sweet, creamy, ricotta cheese bonnet piped on top of the strawberries that gives it an elegant presentation together with a fabulous taste. This is an easy dessert to serve as the finale of a fancy dinner or for a non-special everyday dessert.
- 1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 4 tablespoons sweet Marsala or orange liqueur
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 strawberries for garnish or grated semi-sweet chocolate
- Mix the strawberries, sugar and Marsala or orange liqueur in a medium bowl and let sit for 30minutes.
- Combine the ricotta, mascarpone or cream cheese, honey and vanilla in another bowl, using an electric mixer or sturdy spoon to mix well. This mixture can be prepared early in the day and refrigerated until 30 minutes before serving.
- Divide the strawberries and their juices into four individual dishes. Spoon the ricotta cheese mixture into a pastry bag and pipe it on the top of the berries. Sprinkle with the grated chocolate and/or garnish with a whole strawberry.