It has been months since I have made a spinach salad, I surely don’t know why as I love them and I always have the ingredients in the refrigerator. Today I was searching my recipe box and found my old recipe for spinach salad dressing and I suddenly had a craving for a spinach salad.
This is a really colorful salad that is very healthy and full of flavor and nutrition. It is so wonderfully delicious and satisfying and looks beautiful heaped up in a salad bowl. Also, it has everything in there that you need for a meal; good fiber from the bright greens of baby spinach leaves, red tomatoes and purple onions. Plus, protein from the eggs, mushrooms and bacon. The balsamic vinaigrette includes garlic and a spicy brown mustard blended to a creamy goodness with a measure of healthy olive oil. There will be enough vinaigrette for at least another big salad and it keeps well in the refrigerator.
I love this salad and it is a complete balanced meal-in-a-bowl for lunch or dinner all you need add is a warm crusty roll and a glass of white wine. Oh, spinach salad, where have you been all these months!
- 8 ounces thick slices bacon
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Set a wire rack over a foil-lined baking sheet and arrange the bacon on the rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the oven and transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. When cool, cut the bacon into ½-inch pieces and reserve.
- Add the spinach to a large salad bowl and arrange the onions, mushrooms, eggs and tomatoes in sections over the spinach and distribute the reserved bacon over the top.
- To a mini-food processor or a blender, add the balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper and blend for 10-20 seconds. While the motor is running, slowly add the olive oil and blend to a thick consistency.
- Pour the desired amount of the vinaigrette over the spinach salad, toss and serve. Or, portion up the un-dressed salad onto individual plates and pass the vinaigrette for guests to add as desired.