Dried tart cherries pair perfectly with dark chocolate and pistachios in these elegant cookies. There is a blend of salty, sweet and tart in these exquisite bites of deliciousness.
I put just enough dark chocolate in them to add some depth to the cookies without overwhelming the pistachio flavor. Pistachios are not only mixed into the dough but they are covering the top to show the star of this cookie. For really outstanding results, use a good bar of dark chocolate instead of chocolate chips. Chocolate chips would work but they don’t melt into the batter the same way as a chocolate bar does. It just takes one 3.5 ounce bar finely chopped to disperse into the cookie batter. These are definitely on my favorite list and always feel like a special treat.
Pistachio Cherry Cookies
Yield 5 1/2 dozen
A delicious combination of pistachios, tart dried cherries and dark chocolate come together for a memorable cookie.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- ¾ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 ½ ounces dark chocolate (70% cocoa), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream sugars, butter, and oil until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined then stir in the vanilla.
- Turn the mixer off and add the flour, baking soda and salt on top of the batter. Stir the flour mixture with a fork to blend the baking soda and salt evenly into the flour. Turn the mixer on low to moisten the flour then increase the speed to medium until well combined.
- Stir in cherries, pistachios and chopped chocolate.
- Place 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios in a shallow dish. Scoop the cookie batter into tablespoon size mounds then press the top of the mounds into the chopped pistachios to coat the tops.
- Arrange the cookie dough on baking sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
if using salted pistachios, reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon