We recently published our recipe for Chocolate Samoa Dessert Lasagna which was our contribution to the contest sponsored by the Girl Scouts of Western Washington. The contest is to celebrate the 40th year of the Girl Scout Samoa Cookie. We have just been notified that we are among the top finalists in the contest! How cool is that!
There will be three winners of this contest and they will be determined by the number of votes that is received for their recipes. Naturally, we would love to have you vote for our Chocolate Samoa Dessert Lasagna and it would be awesome to be the winner of this contest.
The voting process begins February 18, 2015 and ends on February 27, 2015 at 10 p.m. Savor The Best would very much like to have your vote for this great recipe. To see all the Girl Scout Samoas Cookie recipe winners and to cast your vote please click on this link Girl Scout Cookie Contest. Scroll down to the middle of the page to the large purple banner that says “Vote” and make your selection, the “submit” button is at the lower right hand side.
The winner of the contest has been invited to make their recipe live on New Day Northwest on March 2, 2015. The sponsors are also giving coverage in the Seattle Times, Seattle Met and Seattle magazine. This is exciting!
The Girl Scout cookie sales begins on February 27th through March 15th, we are re-posting our chocolate samoa dessert lasagna so you will be able to purchase your beloved Samoa cookies to make this crazy delicious chocolate samoa dessert lasagna. Your vote may just be the one that makes our recipe the winner!
This is the original post for our entry entitled:
Chocolate Samoas Dessert Lasagna
Its Girl Scout Cookie season again and it won’t be long before we see our local Girl Scouts selling those famous beloved cookies. I know it isn’t easy for those young girls to sell their cookies so I always end up buying more boxes than I need. I just love seeing their faces light up when I tell them I will buy their cookies. Invariably, I always end up buying more Thin Mints and Samoas than any of the other flavors. I guess I’m predictable that way.
This year is the 40th year for the Samoa Cookie and to celebrate that famous cookies birthday, the Girl Scouts of Western Washington is throwing a Samoa Cookie Recipe Contest. We are excited to share in the celebration with the local Girl Scouts and add our contribution to the contest. Mom and I came up with this Chocolate Samoa Dessert Lasagna and ….. hello dessert heaven!! Someone is going to have to hide my fork! This is a flavor explosion in your mouth. Chocolate cheesecake, toasted coconut, Samoa Cookies, whipped cream, caramel, and chocolate all layered between sheets of flaky Phyllo pastry. Oh! So! Good!
Give this recipe a try and support your local Girl Scouts all at the same time. It’s a win-win.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant coffee granules
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 sheets of phyllo dough, thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package Samoa cookies, crumbled
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8” x 8” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium high speed until creamy. Add the egg and blend until just combined. Add the melted chocolate, coffee granules, and vanilla then mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, stopping the mixer half way through to scrape down the sides and incorporate all the ingredients.
- Cut the Phyllo sheets to and 8” x 8” square. Place one sheet on the bottom of the dish. Lightly brush the sheet with butter then repeat with 4 more sheets of phyllo dough. Keep the rest of the Phyllo sheets covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use again.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the Phyllo sheets. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of toasted coconut then half of the crumbled Samoa cookies.
- Top the Samoa cookies with 5 more sheets of Phyllo dough that has been brushed with butter. Spread the rest of the cream cheese mixture over the second layer of Phyllo dough and top with ¼ cup of toasted coconut and the rest of the Samoa cookie crumbs.
- Top with 5 more sheets of Phyllo dough that have been brushed with butter. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down completely.
- Place the cream and the powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk on medium high speed until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Spread the cream on top of the dessert then sprinkle the ½ cup of toasted coconut and drizzle the chocolate and caramel syrup over that.