This is a moist, tender coffee cake in a grab-and-go muffin. I will make a batch of these and freeze them for a quick and easy breakfast with yogurt. Using cake flour creates a delicate, tender crumb but if you don’t have cake flour on hand you can substitute all-purpose flour. If you choose to use all-purpose flour just subtract about 2 tablespoons of flour from the recipe, however, the results really will be much better with cake flour.
Use a light hand when folding the dry ingredients and blueberries into the batter. You can use frozen blueberries in place of fresh but be sure to keep them frozen when you fold them into the batter or you will have purple muffins.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
A moist, tender coffee cake muffin loaded with blueberries and topped with a crumbly streusel
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cup (245 grams) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Place 24 cupcake liners into muffin pans.
- Combine streusel-topping ingredients in a bowl and blend with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse sand. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Using an electric mixer, mix on medium high speed until the mixture turns a pale yellow, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, blending each egg in and scraping the bowl down after each addition. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and fold by hand just until the flour is moistened then using a spatula, gently fold in the blueberries. Batter will be thick.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pans (I used an ice-cream scooper) and top each muffin with 1 tablespoon of streusel topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the middle of the muffin and it comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.2 g
Saturated Fat 5.6 g
Cholesterol 36 mg
Sodium 137 mg
Total Carbohydrates 21.9 g
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 2.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.