Fall has officially arrived! There is a nip in the air and the trees have turned red, gold and orange. There are piles of multi-colored squashes in the markets and heaps and baskets of beautiful apples are everywhere. Who can resist making a crisp apple salad when the apples have been freshly picked and so tempting.
This apple salad is simple and refreshing. It is also quite versatile by adding sliced chicken or chilled cooked shrimp, gorgonzola or feta cheese will add another dimension and create a totally different salad. I can imagine up a list of different kinds of apple salads.
To make this salad I added some spicy arugula to my large shallow salad bowl then I used the crisp, sweet-tart Fuji apples, cut into bite-size pieces. I left the peel on as it is full of nutrition and adds some beautiful color. Walnuts just seem to go with apples anytime and there is a generous measure of toasted walnuts added to give a nice crunch. A little savory zip from the slices of red onion and some creamy gorgonzola cheese make this a memorable delicious salad. Everything is tossed together with the perfect creamy dressing of lemon juice, honey, dijon mustard and olive oil. I love this salad!
This is a salad that is easy to assemble and takes just a few minutes to put together. I did toss the apples with a bit of fresh lemon juice to keep their nice color. The dressing makes about one-and-a-half cups and what is not used in this salad will keep refrigerated for another salad. I hope you try this salad it is so-ooo delicious, not just for Fall but anytime of the year.
- 4 fresh apples, cored and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- ½ of medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- Add the prepared apples to a dish and toss with the lemon juice to keep them from discoloring.
- In a large shallow salad bowl, add the arugula, the prepared apples, sliced red onion, walnuts and crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
- In a mini-prep blender, add the garlic, mustard, honey salt and lemon juice and process till well blended. While the blender is running, slowly add the oil and process till thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a container. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
- Pour desired amount over the salad mixture, toss and serve.